Gerard Egan

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  tadol 2 days, 23 hours ago.

• Author

zorro
    Participant

I noticed on the Mothership site that Gerard Egan is listed on the Carolyn Sills Combo Video as a “Former” Luthier with SCGC.

I ‘m sure he will be successful in whatever he does.

When I was at the shop for the 40th he was the luthier working on the “final” station and the person who handed the 34 Zorro to Richard Hoover who handed it to me and said ‘I believe this is yours Hank”.

When I was playing the 34 for the first time in the lobby of the shop Gerard came out from the work area and listened for a bit and said “Don’t ever sell that guitar, it’s very special”.

I liked him a lot , and wish him the best.

1993 Martin Custom HD-28 IR/Sitka
    2001 SCGC Custom F Cutaway Maple/German
    2008 SCGC Custom OT Madi/Italian
    2015 SCGC Custom OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
    2016 SCGC Custom 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi

zorro
    Participant

After looking at his FaceBook page it would appear that “The Combo” has become a full time deal….wonderful !!!

Old 97
    Participant

Gerard was at Sylvan a few years ago.

indexless
    Keymaster

When he’s not on the road with the Carolyn Sills Combo slinging a mean guitar, you can find him doing his magic at Sylvan 3 days a week. I just played a setup he did last week on a new Jimmy Page Tele that was possibly the best set up guitar I’ve played, he’s a wizard!

Matt Hayden
    Participant

Good to know. I have an instrument or two that could benefit from that.

Old 97
    Participant

I have been looking for a proper repair person since Butch Boswell moved to Bend.

Matt Hayden
    Participant

Even in the Bay Area, with Gryphon, Michi, John Mello, Alan Perlman, and more, it’s still hard to get repair slots.  The good ones are all booked.  Gerard in SC (and Stephen Strahm) do good work, and they’re not too far away.

Old 97
    Participant

Perlman is the best for acoustic. Busier than ever.

zorro
    Participant

My guitar repair Guru move to North Fl. a couple of years ago. We don’t have anybody I would trust locally. He is about 4 hrs away.

The Martin is due for a refret someday soon. Maybe Gerard and Carolyn want to visit The Gulf Coast of Florida ?

tadol
      Participant

i’d bet you if you can help them set up a few shows, you might just get the Carolyn Sills combo out to your neck of the woods long enough for Gerard to take a look at your guitars – but he’s a pretty picky repair person, and may not bring all the tools he’d want at his disposal on the road. You could always ask, though!

Daniel
    Participant

If Stephen Strahm is still doing repair and set-up work, then I can think of no one better to take your guitar to.

Daniel

Matt Hayden
    Participant

We are blessed with a lot of choices

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.