Gathering last night

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

Dee and I held a “Round” last night at our house.
        We had 6 song writer/players from Ireland, Canada, Nashville and Local.
        I had invited a man I met on the AGF to attend as he was visiting the Naples, Fl. area. He is a BRILLIANT fingerstyle player and the owner of some 20 guitars including 5 Collings and a Froggy Bottom.
        I started handing him the SCGC guitars and he was blown away.
        He could not get over how lightly built yet so clear and loud….Of course WE on this forum understand what it is like when a player first experiences a Santa Cruz Guitar.
        He settled on the Otis Taylor H and the OM from The Tree” as his favorites…..But thought the 1934 and the Maple F cutaway were the equal or better than his Collings. He said the Froggy Bottom could not compare to the “Classic” voicing of the SCs.
        We played and sang and sipped well into the night under the stars by the lake….REALLY my favorite way to play guitars.
        ALL were better than I but I had fun trying to hang in.

Matt Hayden
        Participant

That sounds wonderful.  We have regular jams where I am and the SCGCs always carry through.

I’d like to hear the OT and the Tree guitar sometime – they sound pretty sublime.

Hank
          Participant

You know Matt I really would like to be able to present an accurate audio representation of how the SC guitars sound.
            My playing is not so bad that I can’t make them sound as they deserve but I have yet to hear any Digital recording on any “Forum” that is a “True” sound of the instrument.
            I remember having a discussion with you and the other “in the Park” players about the very special sound of Santa Cruz guitars.
            I have listened to many, many A/B comparisons on both the old SCGC forum and the AGF forum…… even with good headphones the recordings are NEVER what the instruments, regardless of builder, really sound like in person. When played/listened to in person there is a “reality” that just does not seem to replicate via digital.
            I am going to ask the studio where Dee has recorded her CDs and see if they can produce a real world representation of the sound that these guitars produce.
            In lieu of that your just going to have to come visit and play them yourself.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.