First intro / post.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

A quick Hello to the membership, and a question. I’m now an owner of my first Santa Cruz , a Style 1. I live in Vermont, and build guitars as time permits.

I wanted to pull the end pin out the other day, and expecting it to dislodge like all the others I’ve ever pulled….it wouldn’t pull out. …..does Santa Cruz glue them in ?

Thank you in advance.

Michael

indexless
        Keymaster

Welcome Michael,

Thanks for joining, let’s see what the word is from the big house.

Chrisakadigdog
          Participant

As I understand the end pin has a very ,very small drop of yellow glue touched to one side of pin .  LIKELY INSERTED AND SPUN JUST A TOUCH ?  Like index stated, the big house SCGC, would be the best source for answer.  831 425 0999

Anonymous

That makes sense Chris…thank you. When I look inside at the end of the pin…I see a small bead of what might be glue.

The end block is plywood ( the enlightened choice, in my opinion)…so that might be why they secure the pin this way.

indexless
              Keymaster

Hi Michael,

Here’s the WORD from SCGC  ”

We do put some wood glue on the shaft of the end pin before installing it into the tail block, yes. It can be removed with pliers, and we cover the pin with a wypall to protect it when removing. We do recommend a professional performing this task if someone has not done it before.

Anonymous

Thank you Keymaster.! The pin can stay right where it is.

tadol
                  Senior Moderator

The only reason I can imagine to remove it would be to install a jack, and if you’re installing a jack, you don’t need it.  As long as you use the SC case, which provides plenty of end-cushioning if you ship the guitar, I’d leave it alone.
                    There have been some interesting threads on the AGF with all kinds of warnings about  “never glue an end pin in” and other things – sometimes I guess I take for granted the quality and details of the Santa Cruz team –

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.