first 1934 d build ?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

Richard,

On “another” forum there is a SCGC 1934 D “prototype”.

The build year of the guitar is listed as 2008.

When did you build the first 34s and what differences might there be between the prototype and moe recent models?

I love ours and will always be grateful to you for presenting it to me at the 40th.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Hank.
        Richard Hoover
        Senior Moderator

Happy late summer to you and yours Zorro.

Officially, the first ’34 D Model was June 2008. That was when we began to use the ’34 D designation. Like the Tony Rice professional Model, we had made prior one off guitars with similar specifications before arriving at the official model name. I will venture that the seller is accurate in their 2008 model being “among the first” We can verify if it is “The Prototype” by referencing its serial number and comparing it to our records.

The concept of the ’34 D (The build year of Tony Rice’s iconic D-28) was not to merely copy the kinds of woods and cosmetics, but to build the instrument from woods that were actually existent in the 1930’s. In addition we used the glues, finishes and non-force techniques that Martin employed when building the originals nearly 90 years ago!

Fun stuff this luthery!

Al the best,                                                                                                                                                                                           Richard

Hank
            Participant

Thanks Richard…..my SCGC Ramuda gives me great pleasure and peace everyday.

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.