Firefly Help?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Hi all, i’man old fart, trying to learn fingerpicking and cursed with GAS. I have an opportunity to trade one of mine for a lovely looking Firefly with maple back and sides. I won’t get to try it in advance. I’ve been playing all 1&3/4″ nut guitars with at least 2&3/16, and more often 2&1/4″ at the bridge. The Firefly is 1&11/16″ and 2&1/8″. A bit worried that it will be too narrow. Anyone that has played one (or more!) have some impressions they can share in this regard?

Many thanks!!

indexless
        Keymaster

Greetings JAMKC

Welcome to the forum. I’m sure you’ll find the answers here again welcome!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by indexless.
          Anonymous

Many thanks!

Old 97
            Participant

The challenge I had with mine was the small body and shorter scale. My right wrist angle was unforgiving. I tried many different ways of holding the guitar to fix my problem but never could. My reach from tip to fingertip is 72 inches.

Otherwise, I loved the sound and set up of my FF.

Anonymous

Old 97, thanks for that. Basically were you too “cramped” with the length? Also, how was the string spacing?

Acoustic Soul
                Participant

JAMKC, I think the Firefly is one of the top Santa Cruz experiences I’ve had.  It sounds like a guitar that an engineer recorded and polished.  I love the Firefly, F, and Sloped Shoulders.  The firefly doesn’t sound small like the F even though the F is much bigger.

If you type in Carmelo Santini into YouTube or Carmelo Santini Santa Cruz Firefly it should bring up a video Santa Cruz Firefly #260.  I actually find that the firefly is the ONLY santa cruz I have ever played that not only was I satisfied with the stock setup, I would actually prefer it – THE ONLY ONE!  Everything else I much prefer having hide glue and adirondack top and braces etc… they don’t even sound right to me with sitka or italian so far.  Firefly has been the exception.  I loved it.  I would get one myself if it ever pops up on Reverb when I’m in the position.

To answer your question about the size, I did not notice any difference when I picked it up to play, it was very comfortable.  I’m not one too bothered by scale length or spacing changes though, I’ll play anything if it sounds good

Hank
                  Participant

Jamkc….. I also am an “Old Fart ” (73)….while I have only played a few Fireflys’ I can tell you that I don’t believe any builder does Maple better than SCGC…NO ONE. But, as has been said here often the top wood is the determining factor to a guitars voice.

We who have older hands I believe ,contrary to conventional wisdom ,are less bothered by nut width because we are aware  of the old saw “adapt or die”…. we understand the concept better than most.

My old Martin and other of my SCs are 1-11/16…..spend a little time with it and you’ll be fine.

Hank
                    Participant

Tried to edit…..my spread on both hands is 12 piano keys…thumb to pinkie.

Long skinny fingers and large hands

Anonymous

Great help gang! Still wondering about the bridge spacing as compared to other SC’s? Noticeable difference?

Acoustic Soul
                        Participant

I didn’t notice any difference or struggle, the video I sent you I picked it up and immediately was recording.  First time ever playing one.  I remember it feeling totally natural, I personally would not worry about it, I can recommend it with ease if it’s something you’re interested in.  It did not feel tight, cramped, or out of place

Barber Derek
                          Participant

Thanks for the comment.  I’m waiting on my custom 00 to be ready, but ‘ve already been thinking a Firefly may be something that interests me in the future.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.