Finish repair Older Tony Rice

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Finish repair Older Tony Rice

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Just picked up an 02 (I think) Tony Rice that sounds like heaven but is challenged in the looks department.  Notably there is finish missing, pluued away between the bridge and the sound hole.  There is also some checking radiating out from the bridge.  I think there was a bridge reglue at some point.

I live near Asheville, can anyone recommend a Luther to do some touch up on the finish?  Also what finish is on this guitar?  Thanks, Joel

indexless
        Keymaster

Welcome Joel,

I’m sure our forum will help you here, I mean for me, if it plays in tune and sounds heavenly…don’t touch it. Welcome again

Hank
          Participant

When I bought my 1st SC DA-1 it was also challenged …. i sent it back to the Mothership for a makeover and a neck reset.
            If you love the sound and playability and are going to keep the guitar, call Carolyn and send it to Santa Cruz.
            You own a wonderful guitar….It’s worth having a facelift and a setup by those who built it. Just My Humble opinion.

Matt Hayden
            Participant

A slightly different take on it:  unless the finish wear etc affects the playability of the instrument or otherwise puts it at risk, just play it.  I’ve got a 1991 OM that’s got its fair share of marks etc but it’s because it gets played – and at 27 years old, it’s earned some of its scars – it’s played a lot of shows and has always held up for me, like the trouper it is.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Matt Hayden.
              Anonymous

Also what finish is on this guitar?  Thanks, Joel

Santa Cruz Guitars have primarily been finished with nitrocellulose lacquer.

like stated above. If its not broke no need for fixin.  It’s the guitars that show the wear that most often have the magic tone from hours of playing.

Anonymous

Had an email exchange with Carolyn as she was on the way out of the door for NAMM.  Was surprised at how reasonable the quote for finish repair was.  I am on the schedule for May.  Very impressed with the personal level of customer service with Santa Cruz.   Many other companies could take a lesson.

Hank
                    Participant

Yep….Ride that horse….if you want to keep the Remuda healthy, you got to run a curry comb through the hide once in awhile.
                      Love your instrument and it will love you back !!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.