Fact Or Gossip ?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

Recently on that “Other” forum I have been reading that SCGC has raised the price of all of its’ models and options. I have also read that SCGC has decided to build fewer “Stock” guitars and to focus on building a higher percentage (Even higher than currently) of “Custom” guitars. Also that the Company will build far fewer instruments per year than they have in the past. It was reported that more ” attention to the Luthiers art and building technique” will be focused on each instrument going forward.

I honestly don’t know how an SCGC instrument could be much better….but I do know that Mr. Hoover is always in search of perfection.

I am in the early stages of working with “The Powers That Be” in specing a custom FTC ( the one about which some of you have contributed such wonderful input) and it is too early in the process to figure a price. Also, I have not spoken with any dealers as of yet so I have no insights/news from the dealer network…although it seems to me that a number of new dealers have been appointed

I for one LIKE the idea of SCGC  doing the above. I think it will increase the value of existing SCGC guitars and support the pre-owned SC guitars prices.

And let me be honest….While I was attracted to the Voicing/Quality and Beauty of Mr. Hoovers when I began searching to assemble a small collection of very fine guitars that I can enjoy and “Pass On to My Family”, I also have to admit that owning SCGC builds have allowed me to enjoy a bit of “Exclusivity” in my selfish soul. I’m old enough and have lived enough of life to admit it …..because I’ve earned it. ( insert  S. E. Grin old man face here).

Anyway , do any of Y’All have more insight and please understand that I would not be offended if the comments were ……None Of Your Business.

indexless
        Keymaster

I would start with the Dealers, they would know what’s coming…..we’re just a word factory here 🙂   Let us know, might be time to buy

Acoustic Soul
          Participant

Yes I’ve heard the same thing from a shop and from santa cruz themselves… not in those specific words though.  You could just call and ask Carolyn.  I told them I read they were shifting away from stock models, raising prices, and including higher grade woods as stock basically.  I forget what exactly the reply was, but I remember thinking “oh good I’m glad you’re stepping it up even further because I have no interest in ordering a base model guitar for that much money when just a little bit more buys more soundboard”

Chrisakadigdog
            Participant

Price’s increasing is’nt anything out of the ordinary.  Over the last 15 years SCGC prices have been keeping with the times at about 10% yearly plus or minus a few %.   Quality has increased as well as the raw materials to build such fine instruments .  Cost of doing business with all of it’s associated liabilities seems to be reflected across the boards in most manufacturing circles.             As I’ve read and understood Santa Cruz Guitars has been primarily a small custom shop builder from day one.  Something like 80% custom and balance in stock models.    To accommodate us  finicky buyers SCGC has offered one of the finest customer service peeps in the show. And where else do you get to call and talk with the MAN himself and his right and left arm associates ??                                                                                            The Wheel keeps turning and you cant slow down  you can’t let go  and you cant hold on.

Yep call your favorite dealer and lay that money down

Hank
              Participant

“Yep call your favorite dealer and lay that money down”

You truly are an Enabler ….Well Just Bless Your Heart.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Hank.
                Chrisakadigdog
                Participant

Just pick your favorite color blue   And watch the magic begin.

tadol
                  Senior Moderator

It seems like a good business decision – rather than increase gross sales by increasing volume, which is gonna be incredibly difficult when the materials you need are not just bulk ordered from some supplier and your means of manufacturing do not scale up thru new machinery or cutting labor input, so you go for higher value, which is most easily attainable via custom orders.  If the custom pipe slows down or has gaps, you throw a few “standard” spec items in, keeping everyone busy – especially if you have some incredible artist models up your sleeve.   The quality of their work has never been better, but the market for higher end non-custom guitars is a difficult one these days, so the best thing they can do is build for the people who appreciate the work, and are willing to pay that bit extra to get things built exactly the way they want them.  You can go to many solo builders, but you do not get the same level of consistency, simple choice of options, and name recognition that comes with a Santa Cruz –  I haven’t heard anything from them about any of this, but it does seem to make a lot of sense –

Hank
                      Participant

I agree with you Tad…..Good business decision in this current market

sdelsolray
                      Participant

Here’s a post I made on another forum about this:

The following information is a summary of conversations I had with two long time SCGC dealers and with SCGC itself.

1. SCGC increased base prices for all models this year a healthy amount but not as high as 30%.

2. About 90% of SCGC orders are custom orders with requested upgrades, changes, etc. to a base model configuration. This increased the price of the guitar over the base model.

3. SCGC has changed this by including a variety of choices, some quite significant, in the base price. For example, you can now choose the top wood (from 100 year old Sitka, Adirondack, European Spruce, Cedar, Redwood or Genuine Mahogany) at no additional charge. Other examples include (i) addy bracing with hot hide glue, (ii) several body, neck and peghead binding choices, (iii) various nut and and saddle string spacing widths and other neck specs, (iv) short scale, (v) different rosettes, (vi) different fingerboard inlays and choice of abalone SCGC logo style and location, (vii) various setups, (viii) various tuners among Schaller, Gotoh and Waverly and (ix) various finishes (including sunburst top), all at no additional charge.

4. Other options will continue to have an upcharge above base price, such as exotic b&s woods, bling, pickup installation, etc.

4. SCGC has also decided to spend more time with each instrument in the building process to increase instrument quality and will be making fewer guitars this year than last year to do this.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

<script src=”safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/cf534fb4/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js” type=”text/javascript”></script><script src=”safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/cf534fb4/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js” type=”text/javascript”></script>

Hank
                          Participant

Good info…Thanks.

Matt Hayden
                          Participant

Seems a good idea….if they’re doing more custom pieces, there’s at least one design I’d definitely be interested in if they’re on board for it.

Old 97
                            Participant

The replacement price of my Dread Cutaway with Brazilian back and sides, Brazilian Binding, headstock overlay, and Baggs Anthem is $19,000. In 37 years the price has gone up 900%.

tadol
                              Senior Moderator

Back in 1980, the base price sheet was –

D – 1100

H – 1100

F (std, no cutaway) – 1200

F – (cutaway, deco inlays) – 1500

FTC – 1800

Std Options offered –

cutaway – 150

carved back (F series only) – 300

deco inlay – 150

12 string – 125

german spruce top – 50

east indian rosewood – 50

Brazilian rosewood – 125

My take is that while prices have gone up, alot, the material price increases have been a huge portion of it. Alot of their work I think was being done in maple, koa, and mahogany – eir was an upcharge material. So compare a $75 upcharge to do braz rather than eir, and compare that to the upcharge now, which I think is maybe 8 or 9,000 ?

also – even their 1980 price list specifically says that they invite custom work, which was pretty unusual for a shop to advertise –

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by tadol.
                                Old 97
                                Participant

Go to the SCGC page and dig into the Design Your Own section : https://santacruzguitar.com/d-model/#DesignOwn

You will find Brazilian starts at $10,500 and goes to $14,500. It’s like buying a Lexus. It’s going to lose value as soon as you take it home, but you pay the premium to get the best.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.