Expanding the reach of this forum

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Expanding the reach of this forum

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Old 97
      Participant

Other than the small group of us who have been here through various versions of the SCGC, it seems that Facebook and other high profile social media platforms has taken over. At the Acoustic Guitar Forum I try to invite new Cruz players to join us. One reply explained that he preferred the wider reach of AGF and FB. When I started a thread at AGF as an invitation, a moderator quickly killed it.

What shall we do to promote our tiny org?

Cheers,

matt sarad

indexless
        Keymaster

Matt,

I think we might be able to make some moves now that we have the site running and secure we can make some miles. Invite your friends and talk to each other, that drives it faster than anything

Old 97
          Participant

Two people have said they couldn’t get in. I guess the registration process may still be wonky,

indexless
              Keymaster

Matt,

I saw that, it’s hard to understand what problems they are having, I’ll check and see if we can work this out

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by indexless.
              Hank
              Participant

How many times have I Missed the the SCGC Players Forum that I first found with the purchase of my 1st SC guitar.
                Carolyn Sills told me about “The Forum’ when I called her about the SC Da-1 that I found and purchased at the Guitar Center in Ft Myers , Fl..
                On that forum I met Alex64 and Magwa and Strings and a wonderful lady from whom I bought a very custom F model.
                I remember Tadol and MattH and Digdog and Indexless and Sugarmillman and many others. We ALL shared info on SC guitars and picks and strings and other guitar gear.
                I wanted so badly to comment( I hope with some common sense,and love for SCGC) on my experience with SC guitars.
                The feedback and info was wonderful ….and I always felt that because of my purchase and playing of a SCGC instrument that I had joined a unique group of pickers. Hell I remember when I achieved “Senior Member”…..Alex64 always kidded me that he was a Senior Member before I was

When I went out to pick up my 1934 custom during the 40th birthday of SCGC and met Richard and Carolyn , Gerard and the artisans of SCGC and “The Players in The Park’ I was simply Blown Away by the warmth and interest in how and why I had become involved with Santa Cruz guitars.
                I was always curious about the mysterious Matt Sarad and his “accident” that he had recovered from and yet still played a very early SC guitar and always commented on the tone of it.
                When I met Tadol at the 40th and he casually mentioned how many SCs he had I almost Shit.
                I followed Strings and others during the Wild Fires in Ca., I sat and watched Matt Hayden ” Pull a Full “Who” Wind up stroke” on my new 1934 Zorro on a park bench and had my heart in my throat as he did his best Peter Townsend imitation on my New $25,000 guitar….Talk about TRUST !!!
                I remember meeting Richard Newman at the Sat. night concert of the 40th party…..It was only for a very few minutes in a dark theater but My wife and I will always remember the grace of the Big Guy.
                I had spoken on the phone with Digdog several times about SC guitars and our mutual friend Alex64 and to meet him and play a few songs with him “In The Park” was a true Aloha moment.
                When Mr. Hoover led a tour of the shop and ended by presenting me with my 34 Zorro as the last stop on the tour I was speechless….The picture of the two of us will be a part of my family forever
                All this is said because, Yes, I miss the old Forum. But I’m also pleased to be an early part of the “New” Forum.
                I would suggest that the Mailing list and registration list of SCGC be used to send a respectful invite to ALL who have purchased a SCGC instrument….. including “The Players” and those who have purchased a previously owned SC from a dealer, to come join a unique and special group.
                For those who choose to comment on the “Other” forum about our “Bespoke” instruments…contact them via PM and let them know that we welcome them.

Old 97
                Participant

I was sorry to have missed the 40th anniversary. At the 35th, Hayden and I got to play with Bob Brozman before his untimely demise.

bert
                  Participant

Matt, I was just reading on the latest version of the Collings Forum… they are having the same issues.  The Facebook site for Collings is thriving apparently, I’m not on Facebook.  Looks like the world is passing us by or something, but I’ll go kicking & screaming before I join Facebook.  dunno, bert

Hank
                    Participant

My wife is on facebook and I check the SCGC Facebook page a few times a week. The SC Facebook page has a page for our Forum and anyone can get to us from there.
                      I also hate Facebook…but more for their privacy or rather lack of privacy concerns than their existence .
                      If we build our forum with committed and loyal folks we will be just fine.

bert
                      Participant

Frank Sanns is the man at the Collings Forum, this is his current thread. I always went by ‘armdog’ on the Collings forum and posted on this thread. El Lambo (Eric) is the admin and added his thoughts. We’re not alone in this dilemma.

http://www.collingsforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=224

indexless
                        Keymaster

Thanks Bert, that’s a great link

Matt Hayden
                          Participant

I think it’s a matter of word of mouth, ultimately.   Yes, we could probably grow this faster but too much growth too fast can lead to instability and contention and the occasional pot-stirrer.

I’ve shared this with a few people and one or two of them have shown up.   It’s a matter of self selection – people will find us if they need to.  Maybe SCGC can mention us in one of the email updates, or put in a brief blurb on the website….

This forum has led to a variety of good things – at the 35th, Matt and I getting to play with Bob Brozman while he was counting out different rhythms with each hand and foot, the 40th where I got to play the Zorro D – that thing is LOUD in addition to sounding beautiful – playing with Chris and Tad and Eric and Matt and Bill, watching my Swedish friend Anders fall in love with a 00-Skye and getting it on Sunday morning (Hank, you drove him to Sylvan for that, right?).  It’s not an enormous group but it’s a great one.  And we need to invite people we trust if we want it to grow.

tadol
                            Senior Moderator

First, I don’t think we worry about growing our forum too fast – if we do a good job with our content and attitude, and each of us keep telling others about it, it will grow in membership.

We can work more on content, and one of the things I would love to see on this forum would be to have more of the shop news, dealer news, artist news, history stories or experiences –  maybe we could get permission from the shop to post alot of the material thats going on FB onto this forum as well, and maybe add more guitar geek info to it, that may be considered un-interesting to the general population that frequent FB.

For ex – I love to hear about wood that Richard may have found, or perhaps new designs or styles they are working on.  Even if its gonna be a matter of months, or even years, before we see the guitars being shipped. Interesting customs, or odd repairs, or guitars that come back into the shop after years in the field. If dealers are ordering some interesting guitars with altered specs, or maybe just an intro to the dealerships, their history and how they work with SC. There are a number of great guitarists that could be featured, and we could help provide details about their tour schedules, CD releases, or backstory on their SC guitar. Forum members could post pics and info on older or unusual guitars they have, maybe some sound clips and history on unusual SC instruments – we could collect pics of SC ukes, or get sound clips from a Mandocello – I’m still intrigued with their acoustic bass – and maybe there are a couple of other things that have come out of the shop that would be interesting to put up some pics and info about.

I would love to change things so that rather than make Richard answer alot of questions, have them come into the forum and someone local can take Richard out to lunch and just ask him some questions that have come in, and write up a little blob about it all. I think a monthly piece “Lunch with Richard” would be a great thing –

The forum is a chance to put up stuff that doesn’t have a place on the SC official site, isn’t of general interest for FB (and is interesting to read a few years from now, while FB is so much more immediate). Its a place to collect history, random pics, songs, people, community – word will get out, and those who understand will join and participate. I like the idea of a special place, kinda like Bolinas – not hard to find and get to, but we don’t need slot of road signs pointing it out to everyone –

Thats just me – and I know it’ll take alot of work, and time, for it to all start to gel –

Old 97
                              Participant

Crickets…

Old 97
                                Participant
                                  indexless
                                  Keymaster

Thanks for the laugh Matt!

Chrisakadigdog
                                    Participant

Like that one summer night

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.