D12 thoughts/comparisons

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion D12 thoughts/comparisons

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Catndahat
      Participant

There’s a seed growing in my mind and it’s been there a while to add a used standard D12 to my lineup. I really am drawn to the 12 fret dred shape/shallow body concept. The thing is that I have never seen or played one in person–they are apparently somewhat rare geographically to me (TX). And with that, don’t really want to buy one sight unseen without playing it first.  Intently listened to you-tube videos with mixed results, asked about them on other forums, etc…but aside from those few who own them saying, “They are great!” I have not really heard anyone compare them to other more common guitars (martin/collings/gibson, etc…) that I know and have played.

Could any of you guys share your experience and/or comparison of sound to other guitars? I’m 95% a flat picker, not so much fingerstyle, Americana type player.

I’ve owned an om/pw mahogany and loved the tone and quality, played Dpw and H13, but not one of SCGC 12 fret D’s. Love the SC tone/feel. So, while I am saving my pennies and semi-patiently waiting for one to pop up, anyone care to chime in with their own first hand comparisons/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Nate

indexless
        Keymaster

“They are great!”

Catndahat
            Participant

“They are great!”

Just what I expected…hahahahaaa.

Thanks, I needed that!

tadol
            Senior Moderator

I played a D12 some years ago, and yes, it was great, but the particular one I tried had a 1-⅞” nut and a slot head, and I just couldn’t handle the body size, the neck size, and restringing a slot head. I wish I could offer more comparison, but I simply didn’t spend enough time with it to really know it.  If you are comfortable with a dread size guitar, all I can do is wish you luck on the hunt!

Old 97
              Participant

Like Tad, I found the wide nut and neck along with the slot head problematic. Plus, it didn’t sound much different than my SCGC Dread.

I wish I had kept it, but Steve Swan gladly accepted it in trade for and OM

Catndahat
                Participant

Good comments.

I’d forgotten the fun of changing slothead strings, and the neck size was never an issue but that was 20yrs ago…these old hands/shoulders are not what they used to be.

Still interested in a d12, but willing to venture other options. 12 frets a must, like to add a mahogany body (already have a rosewood dred & hog om).

I don’t recall a SC 12 fret dreadnaught besides the D12–like the idea of the shallower body; am I missing a model?

indexless
                  Keymaster

The RS is a monster 12 fret

Old 97
                    Participant

The Brozman Baritone is the biggest and best for size, volume, thunder, and scary growl.

jw3571
                      Participant

I’ve had 2 D12’s, they are fantastic.  I was stupid to sell the first one.  I also have a 1934 D Hog and a D African Blackwood.  I don’t find the tones similar between any of them.  The D12 is a much rounder sound.  I have an RS that i’ve listed for sale, it is a fantastic guitar but i prefer the D12.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.