Cutaway Poll

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Acoustic Soul
      Participant

I’ve read that Richard designed his cutaway to not effect the volume or tone of the instruments.  I’ve also read that everything on a guitar effects it’s sound.

What are your experiences with cutaways?

I ask because I’m wanting to move to 12 fret guitars for the sound and response.  I played a cutaway OM Grand and couldn’t tell much difference between it and mine.  Maybe only slight attack and overtone changes but it’s hard to say with different woods and bracing.

I was thinking about whether or not a cutaway on an RS would help or hinder

Old 97
      Participant

I have found that a Cutaway  sounds no different.

zorro
      Participant

I have owned 2 F models over the years.

A F of Ziricote/German (Sold) and a F cutaway of Maple/German that is currently part of the Ramuda

I don’t hear any difference in volume and as they both had German tops I could notice only tonal difference between the B/S woods with the Maple being a bit “Brighter”…..YMMV, etc.

Since I have had the cutaway it has inspired me to learn/play many more alternate voicing chord positions up the neck and to spend more time there.

1993 Martin Custom HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC Custom F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC Custom OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC Custom OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC Custom 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa

The Bay, The Gulf Stream, The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their Secrets with.

tadol
      Participant

I think there is very little resonating soundboard up there, but it means a slight decrease in the volume of air in the box, which probably has a slight effect on the Helmholz frequency. But honestly, I don’t think I could ever hear a difference even if I tried, and the fretboard access (and possibly the cool factor) certainly make it a very desirable feature –

bond_fan
      Participant

I’ve been on several Santa Cruz Guitar Company tours, talked to Richard Hoover, and other builders, and I’ve been told a cutaway won’t affect the tone or volume…

indexless
      Keymaster

Welcome Bond Fan….that’s some OM Grand I saw the other night…….Again, welcome, you are free to post

Matt Hayden
      Participant

I don’t think a cutaway detracts from the sound in any warm and it definitely does add versatility for people who play above the body joint, which is kind of the point. If a player will use it, get one; if not, don’t bother.
      Signed, has a cutaway acoustic which seems to work fine.

Acoustic Soul
      Participant

Thanks everyone, a cutaway and an F or FTC style headstock are two of the features I’d like to incorporate into the RS i’m going to get coming up whenever someone buys my OM Grand.  I didn’t notice anything unusual about the OM Grand with the cutaway I played in Austin TX

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by Acoustic Soul.
      • This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by Acoustic Soul.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.