Convert 6 string to 12

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

Maestro Richard,

As I asked on another page of our very personal forum……. is it practical to convert an existing 6 sting to a 12 string ?

I have a SCGC  Custom F  Cutaway maple/German that I love and as I’m self restricted to 5 guitars in the Ramuda (and because of recent posts on our forum that has induced a very serious case of 12 string G.A.S.) i was wondering if it makes ANY sense to convert the F to a 12 string.

Would that be a project that has any expense/gain ratio  and one that you would entertain or should I just keep my eye out for a SC 12 ?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Hank (Zorro)

Richard Hoover
        Senior Moderator

Zorro, you are an inspiration. Happy New Year to you and yours!

I understand your desire to maximize your options by turning your F into a 12 string. Sounds simple, right? Nah! The mods that I would insist on for conversion from 6 strings to 12 are those which would not only make it playable, but durable and great sounding as well, like an SCGC 12 string.  The short list includes re-bracing the top to accommodate added tension and  a new bridge plate to support the increased bridge footprint. The fret board needs more width to properly space the 12 strings with a new nut to do the same. The head stock will need some added real estate to house 6 more tuners.

You may have now arrived at the conclusion that the time, cost and aggravation of replacing the neck and top will not be as satisfying as having a new 12 string guitar built with all your desired features while still enjoying your intact F 6 string, even if you have to hide it during random  guitar inventory inspections. Always happy to enable you!

Have a fulfilling new decade. Best,                                                                                                                                               Richard

Hank
            Participant

Maestro….You truly are a truth teller…thanks for providing me with a “reasonable” point of discussion to have with Dee Vis a Vie my very reasonable “need” for a SCGC 12 string.

I will however have to also justify a proper “Controlled” corral for it.

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.