Considering a new top of Old 97

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums All about the wood Considering a new top of Old 97

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      dwarfrat
      Participant

My Dread Cutaway is now 41 years old.

Brazilian and Sitka, I’ve noticed over the years that while playing bluegrass and fiddle tunes. it sings when playing single notes. but it gets mushy and lacks proper separation when playing chords.

At my last session with a banjo and mandolin, it was not keeping up in terms of volume and clarity. In desperation, I put it in the case and pulled out Somogyi #101 that I am babysitting. It was louder with superb sound from low to high. It has Brazilian back and sides with a mystery top. General consensus is that it is German Spruce. Ervin was using both Sitka and German in the 80s. I’ve had guitars topped with Adirondack, Carpathian, and German, and Sitka Spruce. In general, I prefer Euro Spruce especially Italian. My mistvrecent visit to Dylvan had ne preferring Redwood and Adirondack.

Some of the challenges in considering a new top are the tapered braces and Brazilian binding. I know the sound I’m looking for, and it’s no longer Sitka with this guitar.

indexless
        Keymaster

There are some really great guitars up there right now. RH has redwood down

Daniel
          Participant

I think if you tell Richard Hoover what kind of sound (EQ) you’re looking for, he can do it in most any top wood.

But under normal circumstances -as you know- you’re probably looking at red spruce (Adirondack).  That takes some time to break in, but it’s a fun process.  🙂

Daniel

dwarfrat
            Participant

Richard might tell me to leave it alone.

Tony Rice Pros have Euro tops.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.