Chestnut

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt Hayden 6 days, 8 hours ago.

• Author

Daniel
    Participant

How do  you all feel about Chestnut as a tone wood?

I was visiting Etienne Vanhove’s shop to have him repair the pickguard on my mandolin and noticed a large chunk of it in the shop.  It’ll need to be trimmed and stacked, but it’s beautiful stuff.  Yellow like Maple, but without the green overtones.  Chestnut has blue overtones.

I’m thinking fretboards maybe?  But like Maple and Walnut, a relative, it could be used for the body.

Daniel

Chrisakadigdog
    Participant

I’ve Only seen it used as a binding or marquetry inlay on a few guitars from Japan, Yamaki,Yairi, Tokai,  Never as a back and sides tone wood use.      I could imagine it looking sharp as a combo three piece back for Mando or guitar.

tadol
    Participant

Most chestnut seems to suffer from worms – hence “wormy chestnut” – may be primarily a US problem?  But it does (usually?) have a very pronounced grain – it’d be interesting to see one!

Daniel
    Participant

Etienne had a big piece of it.  Slab cut centre of a tree.  There were knots here and there, but nothing problematic.
    I’ll see if I can get a photos.

Daniel  (candied chestnuts, yum)

Matt Hayden
    Participant

It’s good material, not particularly heavy, and nicely grained.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.