Building for the player or player choosing model ?

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Building for the player or player choosing model ?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

I enjoyed the most recent Podcast with R.H. and as usual interesting and thought provoking subjects.

One subject that really caught my attention was that the advantage of having SCGC build a player a custom guitar was that the player could order that guitar  “EQed/voiced” to his style of play.

That’s wonderful but what about those of us who don’t have a “professional” style that would be recognized as distinct to us.

I have been drawn to multiple SC models so that I can experience the singular voice of that model vs. another.

My 1934D does not have a voice like my ‘Tree” OM or my old F sounds very different from my new FTC.

I become a better(at least a bit different) by adapting my playing to what the instrument gives me.

Playing instruments with different voice forces me to listen to what I’m getting out of  what I’m putting in.

I don’t often play blues on the 34 nor do I often play “Country Rock” rhythm on the O.T. H.

I don’t know if I make my point…….But I would certainly be a less satisfied player if all my SC models were voiced the same.

I think that adapting to the instrument stretches ones imagination , which also expands ones technique.

IMHO , YMMV, FWIW. ETC,ETC…..

Anonymous

There’s room for both. I have my MAIN guitar and then I have others that I enjoy but I look at them as palate cleaners. For the ears.  Though they are all 00 guitars the differences emphasize different aspects of what I play on them. That is educational. I would love to have a guitar built for me that is tailored to my playing. I am skeptical though. My tastes are not main stream.  The problem would probably be me not the guitar. I can always find something about a guitars sound that I would like to have tweaked.  Especially after I have owned it awhile.

bert
          Participant

Excellent topic Hank. I could wax on philosophically about things but why put the forum to sleep. When you buy a young child a coloring book, you also buy a pack of multi-color crayons.

what makes the world go round.  bert

indexless
            Keymaster

and you can’t really expect a kid to color between the lines. I think the internet confuses this, in reality, the more guitars of all types that you play, the more you refine what your looking for. My motto: Ears, Hands, Eyes

bert
              Participant

Mr. Jelly, welcome to the forum, sorry I didn’t recognize you were new here.  We’re a relatively small/informal group, all you have to do is relax and make yourself at home.

Just guessing you might have a SCGC 00 model, we’d love to hear about your SCGC adventures.

best wishes, bert

Anonymous

Thanks Participant

I was around during the old SCGC forum way back when. I just ran into this SCGC forum and jumped in. I have had a 00 SCGC Sitka/Hog and a 00 1929. Both very sweet guitars. “But” they are gone and I admitted to myself I shouldn’t have sold the 00 Sitka/Hog. The 00 1929 was especially nice but I knew the high end would never fill my desires. Though I miss it because it was so special. Recently I found a 00 1929 Sitka/Hog with a buttered toast top and cowboy purfling so I’m back in the family again.

Barber Derek
                  Participant

Hmm, this is an interesting topic.  I wish I could say I’m an avid SCGC fan and collector, but, alas, my budget only allows me to Redwood Skye 00be an avid SCGC fan and own 1 of their guitars.  For me, there was a lot of value in going to Santa Cruz and taking the shop tour with Richard.  I took my other (now less loved) guitar and played a few songs and then Richard asked me what I liked about the guitar and what I wished I could change.  In the end we settled on a custom 00 based on the Skye model but with Sinker Redwood and Mahogany.  As a singer-songwriter who both flat and fingerpicks it is just about perfect for me, it has made me musically monogamous!  However, I don’t think I could have verbalized what I was looking for nor could I have had such a satisfying end product without the guidance and expertise of Richard and Carolyn.

indexless
                    Keymaster

Welcome Barber….I LOVE every word you said…thanks for joining in

Barber Derek
                        Participant

Thanks, this is such a warm, friendly site.  Also, love the podcast!

bert
                        Participant

Barber, as Bro Ray Charles used to say ‘you got the right one baby’. Loved your story, I had a redwood topped Bourgeois 00 until a friend talked me out it a little over year ago.. I can only imagine how fine is your beautiful SCGC 00. I can’t play fingerstyle but admire those who do, so ultimately OM is my minimum size with a BlueChip in hand.

I bought my first SCGC, a Tony Rice in 2003, but never knew of the old forum. That was my primary guitar for 6yrs… but, like Mr. Jelly said the problem was me ‘not the guitar’. Dreads and rosewood had to leave the building to be replaced with mahog Slope and OM type mid sized models. As a rhythmic arpeggio riff writer (I didn’t say singer/songwriter) sizes below OM are too small and dread too big.  Evolution always plays into things is what I think.

My 2001 SCGC VJ is my favorite all-around guitar that I have ever owned. Other guitars I own are truly for color.

bert

Barber Derek
                            Participant

Thanks.  Yep, I’m pretty small in stature so a 00 sits just about right for me.

That’s great you’ve got an OM, sounds like the right Goldilocks size guitar for you! : )

tadol
                            Senior Moderator

Mahogany / redwood 00 –  mmmm, that is something I’d really like to hear!  It sure does look fantastic!

Barber Derek
                                Participant

Thanks, it really does have a wonderful sound… even in my less than professional hands. : )

I’m actually working on some songs with some friends, we are recording under the name “Redwood Sky,” as a tribute to my guitar and what I see along my favorite hikes on the trails of the Northern California coast.

We have 3 (soon to be 4) songs uploaded on SoundCloud.  We’re not making any money off it, it is just to get the music heard.  Just curious: is it permissible to create a post with a link to my SoundCloud page so people can hear my SCGC, or is that not consistent with what people should post on the forum?

I don’t want to presume or do anything against the intended spirit of the forum.

Thanks.

bert
                                Participant

Barber, post em up for sure…  best regards.  I took a sneak peak at your SoundCloud… good vibes.   bert

Barber Derek
                                    Participant

Thanks for checking out the music, appreciate it.

Hank
                                    Participant

Yep…Saddle up and post Barber.

I also checked your SoundCloud…….nice stuff.

Barber Derek
                                        Participant

Thanks for giving it a listen, the music has an interesting backstory, as does the guitar itself.  I’ll start a topic to explain further.

Old 97
                                        Participant

At Sylvan in Santa Cruz I played 22 different SCGC guitars.I loved 2 of them. One was all Mahogany, the other was EIR with a Redwood top.

I hear a certain sound and respond to it. I played an all Mahogany SCGC a few days later that is still screaming, ” BUY ME!”

In that same store was a Bourgeois/Schoenberg  OMC that was screaming the same 2 words.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.