Bridge pin size differences

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Frozen Rat
      Participant

I have a 2017 00 Skye that I bought recently from Sylvan. I finally got around to putting new strings on it and after a few puzzling minutes realized that the bridge pins vary in size, or rather the slots do, or both. I found that (going from memory here so I’m hoping this is correct) the A, G and B string slots are narrower than the others and I have to get the pins back in the right slots or some will stick up too far. Why is this?

Santa Cruz 00 — Goodall 000 — Martin 00-28

Frozen Rat
        Participant

Maybe this was a manufacturing snafu? It really is kind of puzzling.

tadol
          Senior Moderator

I think the pins with the larger slots (grooves?) should be used with the larger strings, and smaller slots on small strings. Its possible the pins or pin holes were adjusted very slightly individually at the final set-up bench, but I’d double check your ball ends are all sitting properly against the bridge plate. If you could post a pic, maybe it’d be easier for Richard to understand and respond to –

Frozen Rat
              Participant

Thanks, Tadol. I’ll try to do that soon. I think one of the larger pins is on one of the unbound strings though. I’m gong to swap strings again soon so I’ll re-check everything. I’m not really loving the DR Rares I have on it now.

Matt Hayden
              Participant

I file notches in my pins so I know where they go – 1 for the first string to 6 for the sixth.  Makes it easy, and in twenty-odd years they haven’t been put in wrong.

mh

Anonymous

I have a Martin OM-42 that has numbered bridge pins. Little roman numerals that appear to be applied by hand at the factory although I’m not positive they’re original since I bought it used. I’ve never looked close enough to tell if they are different sizes or tapers but they do fit perfectly.

Richard Hoover
                  Senior Moderator

All bridge pins are not made equal! Especially wooden ones. We fit each pin precisely to its corresponding hole and all is good…until they get mixed up during a string change. Although we do our best to educate players to keep these in order when removed, sometimes the dealer will miss this caveat if changing strings during the guitar’s showroom stay.

I love the recommendations for indexing the pins with numerals or hash marks as Matt suggested. This secures your peace of mind for the future. For your current conundrum; I suggest de-stringing your guitar and try each pin in the same hole to find the best fit. Remember to leave the appropriate string in the right hole and nestled in the string channel and position the pin with the groove against the string for an accurate appraisal. Do the next hole with the remaining pins and so on until you have six matches. If the last couple are too loose; you will want to start again favoring  the fatties for the larger gauge string holes. When you’re satisfied with your choices remember to keep them in order visually and/or mark them in sequence for reference the next time.

All the Best,

Richard.

Frozen Rat
                    Participant

Thanks for the responses. I’ve sussed out which pins go where and all is good.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.