baritone chord shapes

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

Does placing a capo on the 5th fret of a baritone guitar defeat the purpose of the lower C to C tuning and the longer scale length ?

i guess my question is ….is a baritone still a baritone when it is fretted up the neck ??

Hope this is not too stupid a question.

indexless
        Keymaster

Baritones…….(insert Homer Simpson drool here)  what a sound….Have you been listening to Joey Landreth?

check here, http://don-guitar.com/BaritoneG.html

Hank
          Participant

I’m just curious about how capo would affect the tone of a baritone……..I’m still working on learning to play a ‘Normal” guitar.

Although I did buy Dee a Luna ” Uke”….she has 10 days to learn two songs or back it goes…….or I’ll learn to play it.

Daniel
            Participant

Hi Zorro,

Presumably the instrument has been built to take larger strings.  So bracing, action, and string gauge will still be the same if you capo up.  Therefore the general tone of the instrument should still be more baritone than standard guitar.

The scale length of the bari at the 4th fret will probably be shorter than 25.5″ or even 24.9″.   So there will be that difference too.

BTW, capo up to the 4th for E to E, capo up to the 5th for F to F.

I think about this stuff because I’m trying to find the perfect spot between mandolin and guitar.  My 5 string emandos are 14.25″ and 15″ respectively.  I’ve got a 17″ mandola and a 19″ octave mandolin.

When I capo the octave mando up to the 5th fret to catch the mandola tuning, I do mostly get the mandola tone.  But this is probably because I use the same gauge strings for both instruments.  The fretting is a bit tighter, but I’m comfortable with it.

In the end I’ll probably need to have someone build me a 5 string octave emando, GDAEB, at 19″.

Daniel

indexless
              Keymaster

This made me think of a Terz guitar or a standard in Nashville tuning capo’d up, music is wonderful

Hank
                Participant

Your right about music being wonderful.

I have been playing a lot lately using Major chord “Grips” but playing up the neck positions to get different “Voicings”.

I used to always wonder why when I played a song it sounded so much less musical than the original even though I was playing the “Proper” chords…….now I have discovered the land of alternative voicing and am pleased with the improvement in my “Style” and sound.

Chrisakadigdog
                  Participant

Got to love that Lyle Lovett   KACHANG SOUND.  Capos are a great alternative for tone/voicing.

Traffic’s  John Barleycorn  capo’d at 7th fret is another iconic acoustic tune.

Traffic’s John Barleycorn

tadol
                    Senior Moderator

Think of it as playing barred shapes up the neck, but without having to work so hard. plus you get those nice open voicings that are almost impossible to get with barre shapes. Its not like playing a shorter scale instrument, because you still have the larger strings, larger body and soundboard, and all that –

Hank
                      Participant

Oh Lord ….the faded memories of “John Barleycorn” ricochet through the box canyons of my mind….. shooting avalanches in Little Cottonwood Canyon and and listening to ‘Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys’ driving back to Park City in the Utah winter night…..with a little help from the “Herb”…..I was so much younger then,I’m older than that Now.

I’ll look that song up tonight.

Chrisakadigdog
                        Participant

Stevie Winwood just recently added a newer take on the tune at his site//YouTube maybe.. D. Am  D , Am C ,G Am

Matt Hayden
                          Participant

John Barleycorn’s a fun tune. I’ve got a relatively simple arrangement that glosses the melody if you’d like,   And it works, as Chris notes, way up the neck.

I remember capoing a Brozman baritone at the third fret and thinking “OK, I can reach things now!!”

Hank
                              Participant

post it Matt…..I’ll try to find some “enhancement” while I learn it.

Old 97
                              Participant

Tuned down to C and capoed at the 5th fret sounds different but very good on my Dread.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.