back to live playing…..sore hands?

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion back to live playing…..sore hands?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Matt Hayden
      Participant

Anyone else finding that getting back to live playing is causing sore hands?

Mr. Jelly
      Participant

I don’t do long shows now days. When I did the mussles in my hands would get sore. I’d have to stop playing for a couple of days afterwords to recoup. Even then it seemed like my hands were always a little sore.

SC 00 Sitka/Hog 1929 Cowboy purfling Buttertoast
      Collings 001 T
      Waterloo WL-S Deluxe

Matt Hayden
      Participant

I did a four-hour thing on Friday….wow.  It really was effortful.  The music was easy but the aftermath is painful.

Old 97
      Participant

I practice every day. Band rehearsals twice weekly. I’m honed and ready.

Hank
      Participant

1/2 Hr. …4 hrs……..all the same when your hands are 75 years old……They hurt about the same all the Time.

I play about 2hrs. a day 5 times a week….. I know playing for oneself is pretty easy compared to “Performing” but even a missed chord can hurt.

But I learn more secrets every day…….

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

indexless
      Keymaster

Three months after left hand surgery, I’m almost 100%, god love Ted’s Pain Creme……a life saver

Matt Hayden
      Participant

Heh.  this last weekend I spent a couple of hours at our local watering-hole/restaurant making noise again.  The muscles are coming back…..

tadol

Got our second real gig this weekend – I was enjoying the playing so much, I didn’t notice the hand pain until after we ended and had to pack everything up and load it up. Hard to say if its gonna be like this more often, or if I’ll build up more strength and have less pain with more playing. I think what I really noticed is that when we practice, we can take breaks frequently as we talk about changes or modifications to what we’re playing, and its a time to “shake out” my hands and rub the joints a bit, which we don’t have when we just keep playing for an audience –

Lots o’ SCGC guitars! But never ask which is my fav

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.