Any questions for the maestro?

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums Ask Santa Cruz Guitar Company Any questions for the maestro?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      tadol

We’re planning on putting another podcast together with Richard, since we haven’t had the opportunity to talk with him in a while.  We’re working on a few questions we know we want to ask, but I thought I’d throw it out to see if anyone on the forum has any generic kind of questions for Richard – about the shop, about the guitars, about the wood, or any care/maintenance / setup stuff.  Feel free to post them here, or PM us, and we’ll try to get them answered during our call!

And while I’m at it – we’re reaching out to a few other people (don’t wanna give too much away!) who we’d love to talk to, but are there people any of you think would be fun to listen to? Directions you would like to see us take with this podcast format? Let us know what you think, and what you think we can do better – your thoughts are important!

Lots o’ SCGC guitars! But never ask which is my fav

Hank
      Participant

I would love to have Richard settle the “Opening up” question once and for all.

As most of you know I’m working with SCGC on a final custom build for my 75th “Trip Around The Sun”.

It will be a 000 from A.B/and Moon spruce.

At 75 I am not going to be able to say …..”I can’t wait to hear this in 10 years when it opens up”.

I get the whole relaxation theory and find it perfectly reasonable. But, I’m talking about the woods that SCGC uses on their instruments.

If the wood used is old /properly stored and   of a tonal quality that is good enough for SCGC to use in the first place does further ageing really make enough difference to hear 10 years from the original build date.

I mean does 3,000 year old bog oak sound better at 3,010 years old ????

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

tadol

Well – we can fit something like that in, but it’s really 2 things –

There’s the aging and “curing” of the wood, which is less of a thing because Richard prefers to use well aged woods to begin with, and then there’s the “breaking in” of the assembly, which is kinda like the natural tensions created in the building adjusting to the natural tensions created by stringing it up and tightening up those strings.

But we’ll try to get Richard weigh in on all that with his expertise when we talk!

Lots o’ SCGC guitars! But never ask which is my fav

Old 97
      Participant

Compare the Janis Ian and PJ. I see they are both listed together in Date Your Guitar. I played an all Mahogany PJ that was spectacular.

Hank
      Participant

As I expect to place a deposit this coming week with Eddie’s Guitars for my 75th Trip Around The Sun SCGC 000, I had a question…….Who at SCGC says YEP this is exactly the guitar that the client wants and it is sonically perfect and cosmetically meets our SCGC standards.

I know that all who are involved with the build talk with each other and have input into the final finished product…..but is there ONE (Richard ?) who says  “I know this is what we want to send to the player” ?

I remember when I had sent the final payment to  the dealer that I bought the 34 Zorro from (a month before I played the guitar at the 40th) and had sleepless nights thinking “What if it’s a dud”. I have since learned that “Dud” is not a word that can be used with SCGC .

But, I’m still curious if there is one person who gives the blessing to ship their guitars .

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.