An OM hatching!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      haasome
      Participant

Through the graciousness of Carolyn, here’s  a peek at another hatching. This Euro/Coco OM is expected to fly sometime in May. It’s always exciting and it’s always a pleasure working with the best people on the planet. Thank you team SCGC.

– Paul –

indexless
        Keymaster

Only the beginning of a beautiful thing, play it forever

iim7V7IM7
          Participant

Congrats Hank….

My FS was due in March. After not hearing anything since January, I inquired and is mine now also due sometime in May like yours.

Dannymeeg
            Participant

Oh wow! How exciting!

bert
              Participant

Looking good Paul, love OMs… you’ve got the stars lined up pretty well.

best regards, bert

Hank
                Participant

Paul…..That is going to be super.

Is this “The Last ONE” ???

haasome
                    Participant

I wasn’t dodging you, I just saw this question Hank. My last one? Well…. As I told my wife, this is probably it. She just rolled her eyes, laughed and said “Sure it is honey.” It could be though. But I just love the damn things so much.

– Paul –

iim7V7IM7
                    Participant

Sorry, I misread the post. Congrats Paul….

Chrisakadigdog
                      Participant

That looks like S29 purfling and coupled with the abalone rosette makes for very unique and cool looks.

The wait will be well worth the treasure at the end

haasome
                        Participant

Delivered to The Music Emporium yesterday and I drive over tomorrow to pick it up.

Custom Cocobolo/European OM Model with Adirondack bracing/hot hide glue, Koa bindings, 2-1/4” bridge spacing, Cocobolo overlay, abalone rosette, S29 top border & back strip, 45 style fingerboard inlays, SCGC logo in abalone, sunburst top and nickel Waverly tuners 18:1 with Ebony knobs.

https://i.imgur.com/lxxoMZD.jpg

– Paul –

indexless
                          Keymaster

oh my

Hank
                            Participant

Paul,

If this Beautiful insrtument is indeed the final Custon Build , then I would say you are “Going Out On Top “……..I know it will sound as wonderful as it looks.

Congrats on a true heritage guitar…….Play on Mate.

Chrisakadigdog
                              Participant

That is one of the most striking finishes ever WOW!

haasome
                                Participant

Thanks guys. I picked up the little beauty this morning and it’s one of those instruments that seems just right — immediately. Most custom guitars I’ve had built take time to settle it, but this one is mellow and resonate from the start. I expect it will become quite something as it figures itself out. The color is quite striking in person. It’s different,  colorful and beautiful! I’m a happy boy!

– Paul –

Hank
                                  Participant

Glad you let us know it arrived safe.

Recording soon ??? of all your SCs.

haasome
                                      Participant

This is my 6th SCGC guitar. I bought 3 ready-made models that were great, but not exactly what I was hoping for. So, 1 by 1 I replaced them with 3 custom orders. Talking with Richard and Carolyn resulted in my current SCGC trio of perfection. I have a Euro/Coco OMG, a Euro/Mahogany H13, and (now) a Euro/ Coco OM. I think they are as good as it gets, none stand out as best; and they each provide a different tonal experience. The playing experience (feel & feedback) is fantastically similar. Some friends think I’m a bit nuts to go the route I did. However, I knew what I was looking for and knew Richard and Carolyn are great listeners who are able to deliver exactly what I hoped for.

– Paul –

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by haasome.
                                      iim7V7IM7
                                      Participant

Congrats….

tadol
                                        Senior Moderator

I’d love to hear more about the differences between OM and the OMG! I’ve played a couple of them, but never had a chance to compare 2 with the same materials –

haasome
                                            Participant

After playing the OM for 5 weeks, I have a better idea how it compares to the OMG. The biggest difference is how the OM rings like a bell through the entire tonal spectrum. Strong bass is developing, but the ring of all notes is pretty amazing. On the other hand, the OMG’s character is clearly marked by its dark, rich and balanced qualities. Both are amazing, but for having the same woods, it throws out the idea that you can get a clear answer to: what does Cocobolo sound like. As we often say, it’s all about the build in capable hands.

– Paul –

haasome
                                            Participant

I liked my Euro/Cocobolo OMG so much that when I was placing the order for the OM, I spoke with Richard about the things I liked so much about the OMG we had worked on a couple of years prior. I had asked for a dark, “wet” tone with very present mids and trebles. I’ll spare the details of our conversation, but it was fascinating and he was incredibly generous sharing his knowledge and time. He aimed to incorporate those qualities in the OM design, realizing the OM is smaller and has its own personality because of the size difference. With that as prelude…

The biggest difference to my ear is that the OMG (besides having a bigger tone) is that it has an amazing thick, rich, dark tone. I wouldn’t say it’s louder or more powerful, but it does have a bigger sound,. The OM has glorious mids and trebles rooted with that solid bass thump. It has a quicker response than the OMG, which is what we were aiming for. I think bracing came into play in that regard. The OM does not have a predominantly rich, dark tone, but it is perfectly balanced and highly harmonic. Both guitars are absolutely amazing. I have (too) many great guitars and I can say the OMG and OM are as good as it gets!

I haven’t had a chance to tell Richard how happy  am with the OM — but if you are reading this Richard, Merci!

– Paul –

Dannymeeg
                                              Participant

Wow! That’s a beautiful guitar! Health to enjoy!

bert
                                                Participant

Congratulations Paul, sweet OM.     bert

dwarfrat
                                                  Participant

OM continues to be my favorite Cruz. In 1999 I found a plain Jane Mahogany and Adirondack model that was the finest SCGC  I ever heard. I had to sell it for bathroom repairs. Broke my heart.

I’ve played many Cruz OMs since then, but that one was special.

Hank
                                                    Participant

I agree…mostly….with the comments about the OMs being the best of the SCGC lineup.

But I’ve been spending a lot of time with the H-13 and the 000 of late…..Certainly equal to my ear.

haasome
                                                        Participant

I agree Hank, my H-13 and OMG are equal but (quite) different from my OM. I love them all!

– Paul –

dwarfrat
                                                        Participant

I’m gearing up to visit Sylvan and play everything in the store.

Again.

haasome
                                                            Participant

When you visit I’d love to get your impressions on the SCGC 000 Custom Adirondack Spruce & Koa. It’s a knockout and seems to have been hanging in the shop for a while.

– Paul –

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.