always a bit envious

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  tadol 5 days, 7 hours ago.

• Author

zorro
    Participant

After watching Tad play with his band ,and knowing that a number of you play in Duos, Trios and larger groups, I feel a bit of envy in regard to keeping rhythm with other players.
    I just don’t get to play with others more than a few times a year and Then I have to sort of “Pull the Horns In” and follow rather than match the pace.
    When I accompany Dee I follow her voice and pacing and she never complains but I know I’m always a hair behind….but she says she still loves me !!!
    I know I’m a “Plinker” rather than a musician and I’m O.K. with that but sometimes I wish I could be “Really In the Groove” in a Jam.
    Maybe If I could play a song the same way twice in a row …….

1993 Martin Custom HD-28 Eir/Sitka
    2001 SCGC Custom F Cutaway Maple/Sitka

2008 SCGC Custom Otis Taylor H Madi/Italian
    2015 SCGC Custom OM “The Tree” Hog/European
    2016 SCGC Custom 1934 D-45 Braz/ Adi

• This topic was modified 1 week ago by  zorro.
    • This topic was modified 1 week ago by  zorro.

indexless
    Keymaster

Zorro,

I miss the band experience as well but with all the great stuff on YouTube for backing tracks, I found a million new people to play and jam with, none as sharply dressed as Tadol, crank up your computer and get playing

zorro
    Participant

Yea, I have done some virtual playing with the computer but It’s not the same as playing with another person.
    Maybe if I had a Liberace Gold Jacket that I could drape over the Computer monitor…… Where did you get yours Tad ???

1993 Martin Custom HD-28 Eir/Sitka
    2001 SCGC Custom F Cutaway Maple/Sitka

2008 SCGC Custom Otis Taylor H Madi/Italian
    2015 SCGC Custom OM “The Tree” Hog/European
    2016 SCGC Custom 1934 D-45 Braz/ Adi

Matt Hayden
    Participant

Playing with other people well requires playing with other people….sometimes poorly…first.

Raif Zabor talks about this in his novel “The Bear Comes Home”:

“Look, there are three kinds of chops and they have less to do with each other than you think: the kind of chops when  you’re practicing alone, the kind when you play with other people, and then there’s the kind of chops you play with other people in front of an audience. They’re three different things. The way I understand it, you’ve been sittin’ home for a long time. Of course you’re gonna have some off nights. There’s no possible way you can expect yourself to know how to road.”

Play with other people as much as you can….it comes with time.  And don’t neglect the ‘nome at home.

Old 97
    Participant

I am in two bands: a blues band and a coutryish band with a pedal steel player.

I practice daily. Rehearsals go pretty well. Live gigs are acceptable, but there’s more n the line I guess. I used to play solo guitar gigs, but one night the stage fright nerves overcame me. I gigged with a duo, but I would get carried away and speed up.

cant win for losin…

indexless
    Keymaster

I guess what I was saying here was I use YouTube for practice so I can feel inspired and feel like I”m getting better, then I’m ready to play with others, yes, live is always best but I try to make the best of what time I get to play

Daniel
    Participant

Been guilty of hitting the accelerator on occasion as well.  Sometimes the muscle memory takes over.

Thoughts:
    As Matt Hayden says, use a metronome.  If the clicking is intimidating or bothersome, you can get more sophisticated metronomes.  Check out the apps available for smartphones and a thing called the Pulse made by Soundbrenner.

Backing tracks are cool.  But they are limited to other people’s songs, and only those songs that are popular enough to make them feasible.

Don’t let the singer carry the tempo.  They can set tempo by counting off, but one of the cool things about singing is pulling and pushing the beat to emphasize the lyric.  If you follow that, you’ll be speeding up or slowing down accordingly, and they need you to keep time so that the rubato has a beat to work against.

Keep it simple.  If down strokes on the 2 and the 4 work best, then don’t embellish.  Guitars have a lot of sustain.  You can use that to your advantage.

Playing with drummers (even if they are not playing a drum kit) will be better than playing with violinists, harmonica players, banjo players, etc.  This is because those instruments are really not keeping an obvious beat.

Hope this is helpful!

D

tadol
    Participant

Jeez –  I’m honored (and horrified) that y’all consider me a musician. I do feel pretty blessed to have found a few guys that we all enjoy getting together and playing music.  It was all rather accidental, taking a chance getting together with someone I had just met, and just trying to do some songs we both knew. It was really helpful that I had a “man cave” where we could hang and drink a few beers and try playing some guitar. Then Alan brought his brother in who plays bass, and then we got a small PA, played more stuff, added a drum machine box, then actually somehow found a real drummer. We’ve been playing for a number of years now, but purely for fun  – every couple weeks we get together and someone will have found a couple songs on-line, and suggest we try it. And we’ll do anything, once – or twice, or maybe thrice, before we decide its worth more effort, or we got it as close as we ever will, or we just suck. And we try ANYTHING – and thats really the challenge, and where I feel I learn.

But after doing this for a while, we were asked to do a couple parties, and those were incredibly nerve-wracking for me, but they were fun! And Alan and Glenn and Gary all had lots of experience playing in bands, going back to high school, so while I am still pretty uneasy performing, I am learning to relax and get into it more, even though I really just strum some chords in the background.  Now Alan wants to do more gigs, amd make some money at this, but the rest of us have pretty full lives, So maybe 1, with the occasional 2 gigs a month, is probably gonna be our fill. But thats what those videos are for – so Alan can try and line up some paying gigs. We’ll see – Maybe some day we could even open for the Carolyn Sills Combo – that would def be the big time!!

Glad y’all like the jackets – we decided we needed to look “official”,  and I can probably find the Amazon link for anyone interested, They are amazingly cheap (and feel that way!)

What was really fun about this latest gig was working with the Jewel Tones – they are so cute, and so talented, and such great people to work with to figure songs out – it was a really great added level of fun. We hope to do more with them in the future, but they’re pretty talented and may not have enough time for us antique farts –

I’m still pretty sure that if I sat down to play guitar with most of y’all, you’d be way better the  I could ever hope to be – but I’m gonna keep trying, and most importantly, gonna keep having as much fun as I can. I’d recommend it to anyone –

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.