A little FS History

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      indexless
      Keymaster

We’ve talked about the FS alot here. On another forum there was a discussion of who designed the Santa Cruz FS…….I wanted the info from Richard directly, he was kind enough to respond to this, so here ya go. I find it quite interesting, I hope you do as well.

“A brief caveat, there are some SCGC guitar designs inspired by employee’s personal projects and collaborative trade show specials. It’s always a point of pride for me to give credit where due. In that spirit, the following isn’t intended to minimize Traugott’s considerable  contributions to SCGC’s graphic success, rather the narrative is to credit the other deserving members of the design team that hatched the Santa Cruz FS model. FS = Fingerstyle. There were other less defining and some just unjustifiable name choices for the new model, though “Fingerstyle Model” and it derivative, “FS” fit best

The facts: The FS was designed by committee in the latter half of the 1980’s. The invitational session included Steve Palazzo, Steve Swan, Jeff Traugott, Michael Hornick (Shanti Guitars), my then partner, Bruce Ross, and me. These were all SCGC members at the time.

The challenge issued to the team was to create a new guitar design that embodied the ethos of the then contemporary, freeform and ethereal genre of open tuning fingerstyle instrumentals. This demanded an organic, natural and non flashy visual statement of simple elegance that als looked really expensive.

Ironically, the FS was not unilaterally designed by Jeff, rather the group design of the FS, including Jeff’s contributions, inspired Jeff’s own guitar designs later when he struck out on his own.  FYI, the two prototype FS models went to modernist fingerstyle pioneer’s Duck Baker and Bruce Abrahms.

The first I heard the twist on the truth was over a decade ago in posts by Wade Hampton Miller on AGF, Unofficial Martin Forum and etc. He inferred intimate access to Traugott and maybe used, and still uses, this anecdote of Jeff designing the FS to reinforce that impression. It’s also very likely that anyone could arrive at this same inaccurate conclusion based on the similarities between Traugott Guitars visual ouvre and the inspirational design of the SCGC FS.

I’ve always been pleased to credit Jeff with his contributions to SCGC including his part in the FS design. I believe that Jeff would tell this story the same way I do. It’s easy to see why some would only remember Jeff = FS and skip further detail because it distracts from their well deserved respect for Traugott’s admirable body of work.

Michal Simmons, writing for Acoustic Guitar Magazine around the turn of the millenium, credited the FS design for inspiring the signature look of today’s elite boutique luthiers.
        My sincere gratitude to everyone involved in creating that fine legacy!

How about that?

Big love,
        Richard

Hank
        Participant

Like many things in this world….especially when it comes to history, “Truth” may NOT equal facts.

I expect that RH deals in Facts….. Thanks RH

iim7V7IM7
          Participant

Thanks for the history Richard (much appreciated).

Like all things guitar, forgetting where the model origins started only tells part of the story. If my FS is #1375 coming off the SCGC bench, I suspect that over the last 35-years the guitar design, construction and customization knowledge has evolved it into being a better instrument than the one conceived by the team in the 1980s.

I had it mostly right(Better than WHM) in the build thread that I created for my custom FS over at AGF where I said:

<i>“The FS model was originally developed by Jeff Traugott, Michael Hornick and Steve Palazzo who were all working at Santa Cruz about 35-years ago.”</i>

I hope to see you at the Artisan Guitar Show in April.

Bob

Matt Hayden
            Participant

It’s an extraordinary design. A few years ago, AcousticMusic.com in CT had one made of spruce and mahogany, and it was sublime.  Had I not been in the midst of a cycle tour from NYC to Boston at the time, it’d have followed me home.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Matt Hayden.
              dwarfrat
              Participant

I sold a Larrivee D9 dread to a friend in the 90s. After it was stolen, she was looking for a replacement. The local store had a discounted FS.

She still has it.

tadol
                Senior Moderator

I found a very heavily used and somewhat abused FS on Craigslist some years ago – the finish was crazed, numerous dings and dents, a couple non-structural cracks, fret wear, etc – but it was cheap ! I gave it to a friend who is a very good guitar player, but had never managed to afford a very good guitar. On the occasions I get to see him play, I am always pleased to see it on stage with him –

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.