00 Don Edwards Cowboy Singer

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion 00 Don Edwards Cowboy Singer

Viewing 65 reply threads
  • Author
      Dannymeeg
      Participant

Hey all!

I first played a Santa Cruz guitar 4 years ago. It was a an Eric Skye 00 used but mint condition. I was absolutely blown away by it but as a singer songwriter, I felt it was overkill for my needs.

I couldn’t get it out of my head and decided I’d go for it but it had sold in the meantime. I had an opportunity to buy another used one but when I went to view it, it had a crack that put me off.

I’m in Ireland and the Skye is a very expensive model here and it doesn’t look like a used one will show up anytime soon. Whilst looking for a Skye, I came across a store that has 2 Don Edwards models on sale for €4650 which seems like a bargain. They’re new but made in 2019. I know it’s a very different guitar to the Skye but it does share a lot of the things I liked about the Skye. As a mediocre guitarist at best and a song writer, maybe the Don Edwards model might suit me even better!

Just wondering if anyone has played one/own one and has any thoughts on it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as there is no dealer here. It will have to be an online purchase.

I’ll own a Santa Cruz guitar one of these days regardless!

Many thanks

Danny

indexless
        Keymaster

Welcome Danny,

The Don Edwards guitars are really GREAT, go play them if you can but you won’t be disappointed.

Dannymeeg
          Participant

I wish I could play one but no one stocks Santa Cruz in Ireland!

Good to hear such great feedback on the model though!

Thanks!!

Hank
            Participant

Welcome Dannymeeg and Slainte Mhath.

I was torn between buying an FTC and a Don Edwards. I bought the FTC and I’ll never look back. But…..The Don Edwards is (IMHO) the PERFECT guitar for a singer/songwriter.

Santa Cruz Guitar Company Presents: Don Edwards at the 40th Anniverary Celebration – YouTube.

He was the “HIT” of the show (again IMHO ).

Hank
              Participant

Try this….tells you all you need to know.

Dannymeeg
                Participant

Thanks Hank!

Don had an incredible voice!

Thanks for the feedback! This forum is so helpful!

Danny

Hank
                  Participant

One more Danny.

Dannymeeg
                    Participant

I will watch this too!! Thanks Hank!

Acoustic Soul
                      Participant

I think he sounds great there – no shade to Don… but for my taste on the singer songwriter bit with the all mahogany OO is that it’s not big enough.  Shockingly the Skye model with the short scale, 12 fret, deep body works really really well with a strum or fingers.  It’s one of the handful cruz models that really stuck to me.  If you were eyeing a Skye I would not suggest stopping with the one you’re looking at.  If you did get an all mahogany guitar… I would definitely get a 1929 OOO , very nice and gives some extra stuff that the OO doesn’t have with all mahogany IMO.  As a singer songwriter I think that I want a deeper more powerful low end and more air inside the cavity… or at least a more relaxed voice so it’s not a strain to sing over the guitar’s voice punching forward.  I had that issue with my OM Grand… so forward and projectile that the upper mids combatted my voice.

FWIW my favorite actual voiced SC guitars although I didn’t like the size, volume, or power necessarily of them unplugged were:  Firefly , Skye, and F.  The VA and 1929 OOO weren’t too bad but not my thing as much. I feel like if I ever found a good old growth VS or RS out there, that would probably be the best thing I’ve heard from Richard… or a 16/17″ instead of the 15″ F model with adi/african. I quite liked my om grand with advanced x bracing… but if I got italian/cocobolo again I would NOT get advanced bracing… and if I did get advanced x bracing I would get mahogany and adirondack instead.  I actually think a 24.9 ” Om grand with a deep body , standard bracing, and adirondack/african would slay for me.    The H I had was similar to an H13 but rosewood – very very enchanting – but I’d stick with the standard H13.  .  . pretty good stuff on that one, but not quite big enough of a sound and a little niche.   Again on the F I love the response but it was too diminutive.  Sometimes on SC you can put mediums on and you get that more powerful sound but then the sound becomes too compressed. I definitely prefer their tapered braced guitars for strumming and singing and the x braced for finger style in general. . . and advanced x with mahogany and standard brace with rosewood.

If any of that resonates with you take it as you will. I haven’t played everything, but I’ve had a few santa cruz custom builds (at the top tier) really searching, and I’ve poured over all aspects of their guitars in relation to what I’ve been looking for – which is something to sing over that’s like a piano… it just took a long time for me to simplify it down to that idea… I started in my early 20s and now I’m in my early 30s and the best santa cruz I’ve ever played so far is not a santa cruz at all.. it’s my arch top I have now haha.  I still want to get Richard to build me a couple more in search of the best guitar they can build from my perspective.  I really really would like to see a true jumbo from them.  either a larger F or larger FTC

I’d hold out for the Skye unless you just hands down are in love with the DE… but if you were you probably wouldn’t be asking for thoughts – it’d already be in your living room if you liked it that much

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Acoustic Soul.
                        indexless
                        Keymaster

I think I made the first of those videos

Dannymeeg
                          Participant

Thank you acoustic soul for that in depth explanation. You raise many good points.

The real issue here is that I live in Ireland and I would say you could count on 2 hands all the Santa Cruz guitars in Ireland. I’ve only ever played the Eric Skye model. I was blown away by it but didn’t buy it straight because I just thought it was too much guitar for my sloppy playing. Since playing it though, I’ve been fascinated by Santa Cruz and Richard Hoover.

At this stage, I think I just want any 12 fret, slotted headstock 00 from Santa Cruz that I can get for under 5k but you’re right, I shouldn’t settle out of impatience.

The worst part is that I’d know within 30 seconds of playing the DE if it’s the one for me. Spending 5k with nothing but YouTube videos to base it on is probably not the smartest move. Ugh… I wish there was a Santa Cruz dealer here!!

Thanks again!

Acoustic Soul
                              Participant

No guitar is too much for whatever level of playing you’re at – you only have one life enjoy it 🙂

If you have to buy off a video, ask for hi res files and listen to it on headphones.  You can loop people in and describe what you like and see if they hear it if you want although that can be dangerous.

What was it that you liked about the Skye so much, what are you wanting out of the cruz?  What’s your style and number one thing a guitar has to do for you

Dannymeeg
                                Participant

What I loved about the Skye was how lively it was. It responded to the lightest touch! I also loved how light it was. My other guitar is a big African Blackwood and sinker redwood. It’s lovely but takes a lot to get it resonating. I’m just a singer songwriter so I’d love a nice wee finger picker!

Dannymeeg
                                  Participant

I’m at work right now and I realise the above is not very articulate in explaining what I loved about the Skye. I will right back later with more detail if that is ok!

Dannymeeg
                                    Participant

I’ll try be a little more articulate now!

This first thing I loved about the Skye was the quality. From the moment the beautiful ameritage case came out (the DE comes with a tooled leather case, not my style but hey, it’s a case), I knew the guitar was going to be quality. The woodwork on the guitar blew me away. The classic look executed so we’ll. Then I strummed it and heard how complex the tone was, a beautiful sparkly top end. The neck felt great and the entire guitar felt lighter than air. I loved how responsive the guitar was.

I know the DE won’t sound as complex and I’m ok with that. I’ve a Lowden for that. I also know the Adi top added a lot of sparkle to the Skye but as long as the DE has some bit of nice airy high end, that would be okay.

I have a Lowden for complex open tuning stuff, a lovely atkin J45 for strumming so I want a nice finger picking guitar. It has to be responsive to a lighish touch.

Cost is a factor unfortunately. The DE is almost half the cost of the Skye. I could however hold out and wait for a used Skye to come up which does happen from time to time. Patience isn’t my strong suit but I’ve waited a year and a half already, I can go a bit longer.

So hard to know!

Hank
                                    Participant

Danny,

Does the store have a tryout/return policy ?

And always remember The Santa Cruz Sound is very personal. We who haunt this Forum are very subjective in our tonal evaluations and trying to describe all the aspects of a particular model , built from a particular tone wood , with a particular top wood is just “Chasing the wind”.

I remember visiting a guitar store in Galway and in Athlone. Also a shop in Dublin, although  that shop was right after a visit to the Guiness factory……

Acoustic Soul
                                        Participant

That’s totally true, when you find another builder none of the consistencies of SC hold up to them.  I’ve just gotten very good at predicting what the shop will put out and they are so consistent they never let down or shock.

Dannymeeg
                                        Participant

I’m not sure but I doubt they have a try out policy. It’s not a shop I’ve ever dealt with but I might shoot off an email to start a conversation!

Yes indeed. It’s all very subjective. I’m trying to distinguish if I fell in love with the Skye model or Santa Cruz guitars in general. A lot of what I loved about the Skye can be found in the DE. I’m just worried the all hog body won’t have enough sparkle. Reading the description of the Skye, it’s the completely wrong guitar for me but it’s still haunts me!

Ah, you must have been in Moloneys in Galway. Great little shop. One of the very few good music shops we have in Ireland.

Don’t mention Guinness to me, I haven’t had a pint of the black stuff in so long with the lockdowns 🙁

Acoustic Soul
                                            Participant

Well the skye is one of those that goes outside it’s description really really well in my opinion.  Not too many of them do.  The marketing on Santa Cruz is really thick to wade through to be honest, I don’t think the pep talk of all the models helps anyone decide.

Like others have said, return policy is your best bet.  It’s fine to pay 80-140 bucks for a trial of an incredible guitar.  My main gripe is that most santa cruz guitars out there are mostly stock ones… even the custom ones are not fully done to their highest level… but until you KNOW what you want from them you wouldn’t want to do that… unless you’re like me and you just trust them to interpret your stuff.  I actually think they do a really good job of interpreting, but what I failed to see in my 10 years is that they have a very very very different idea of acoustic guitar than I do, so I have to interpret their response through their ethos.  In technical terms though, I can compare models and they can really nail stuff.  There is no replacement for what an adirondack top from santa cruz does to an attack with a blue chip pick though compared to italian or sitka and that’s something I have to have.  It’s held true on every single one I’ve played and no other wood has accomplished that for me.  I think it’s a great strummer wood unless you want to play a bluegrass or dreadnought guitar and go for a jangley martin type sound

haasome
                                              Participant

To be clear, I’m in no way challenging your opinions. But will offer this – I currently own 12 guitars. Six have Adi tops. The three SCGC models I currently own have Italian, German and Mahogany tops. The 2 SCGC guitars I’ve sold had Adi tops. I find the Euro tops cut and attack as good as can be (I use a blue chip pick). There are different experiences on this point I believe, and outcomes are probably not uniform.

– Paul –

Acoustic Soul
                                                Participant

No worries forum friend 🙂  i didn’t take it that way, was just continuing the discussion for the poster’s benefit (attempting to anyway).

Hank
                                                Participant

Yep it was Moloney’s .

We have several great friends who are “marquee” musicians in Ireland. Joe Flynn and Frankie McDonald and Frankie’s Daughter Lorainne and Son Keith.

We have known them for years and they open up their homes and hearts when we visited “The Olde Sod”.

We do the same when they come to Florida.                                                                                                                            They set up several gigs for my wife Dee with Midlands Radio and allowed Her to guest appear with them.

Me, they gave me an old guitar , a shot of Dullimore Dew and a pint of the black stuff and set me in the corner at Sean’s Bar and at Mick Kaleen’s on the river.

Remember also that your choice of strings greatly affect the voice of an instrument.

Do you play in DADGAD ? Hog is a great wood for that Celtic sound.

Slainte and Fair Winds.

Dannymeeg
                                                  Participant

An old guitar, a shot of Dullimore Dew and a pint of the black stuff sounds good to me!

I do indeed play in DADGAD as much as I play in standard actually. Have a lovely Lowden for DADGAD but good to know hog tops work for that too!

Acoustic Soul
                                                    Participant

I find that I would use different guitars or live setups for solo than if I were playing with a bass or drums

Matt Hayden
                                                      Participant

I’ll suggest looking for a 00-29.  It seems as if there are (relatively) a lot of them y comparison with other models, and they show up regularly on various sites.

I’ve got one and it’s a good companion to my OM, very rich & warm; I spend a fair amount of time on it these days.

Dannymeeg
                                                          Participant

Why the 00-29 over the DE. They are very similar right? Many thanks!

Matt Hayden
                                                            Participant

Why the 00-29 over the DE?

Solid peghead.   Slotheads look nice but I prefer stringing a solid-peghead instrument.

I have to say my 00-29’s as good as they get. 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Matt Hayden.
                                                            Hank
                                                            Participant

Danny this might help…. Matt is right (As Usual)…..and yes they are very similar. My sense is that the DE projects a bit more volume…..but that may just be the settings that I have played the guitars in .

Hank
                                                              Participant

Danny this might help…. Matt is right (As Usual)…..and yes they are very similar. My sense is that the DE projects a bit more volume…..but that may just be the settings that I have played the guitars in .

Dannymeeg
                                                                Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Interesting! I guess the big difference is the slotted headstock but I note from an interview with Richard Hoover that the slotted headstock has less of an impact on his high quality guitars!</p>
                                                                  I know some DE guitars have hot hide adi braces but I don’t believe the one I’m looking at has!

Thanks Hank!

Matt Hayden
                                                                  Participant

Thanks for the kind words, Hank.

My 00-29 has been used for live play for about eight years now and it is quite loud enough to stand up acoustically in a jam.  It amplifies nicely as well using a high-quality stereo SBT and outboard preamp.

All in all it’s a treasure.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Matt Hayden.
                                                                    Dannymeeg
                                                                    Participant

Great to hear you’re still loving your OO29 after all these years Matt!!</p>
                                                                      Thanks to everyone for their feedback. This is such a great forum!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Dannymeeg.
                                                                        Matt Hayden
                                                                        Participant

You should see how much fun it is when we all gather at the Mothership in Santa Cruz!
                                                                          Some good jams there.

Dannymeeg
                                                                          Participant

I can only dream! Sounds amazing! Would love a tour of the factory!

haasome
                                                                          Participant

Well I for one have not had great luck trying, buying and owning 00 models. I had to think about this, but 8 or 9 — 00-style guitars have come and gone including (but not limited to): Martin, Collings, Bourgeois, H&D, SCGC H-13, and one private luthier. The first 00 that I truly loved is my Froggy Bottom C, which does it all in spades. Until….I purchased a SCGC 1929/00. I am smitten! This guitar has a personality, tone and play, that inspires me to pick it up and not put it down. It plays and sounds like no other I’ve tried. I clearly understand how another player might not appreciate what it brings to the table, and that’s why we need to search for ourselves. I’m actually pretty amazed how much this 1929/00 means to me. Keep looking and enjoy the hunt.

– Paul –

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by haasome.
                                                                            • #5379
                                                                              Matt Hayden
                                                                              Participant

I share your enthusiasm for the model. They’re very special…mine is all warmth and overtones.

• #5324
                                                                              Dannymeeg
                                                                              Participant

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I’m pulling the trigger on the Cowboy Singer today. It’s seems to be an acquired taste so I really hope I like it! The shop does have a return policy so worst case scenario, I’ll be out a few euro on shipping it back if needs be.

The price on the guitar was really good as it’s new old stock. Almost half of what I would pay for a new Skye model. I also think it looks beautiful which I know shouldn’t matter, but it so does (to me).

I really hope I like it! Nervous and excited in equal measure!

Thanks again!!

• #5326
                                                                                Hank
                                                                                Participant

Let us know how it turns out. Are the strings new ? Make sure you have fresh strings other wise you won’t really “hear” the guitar………Welcome to the SCGC Clan !

• #5327
                                                                                    Dannymeeg
                                                                                    Participant

That’s a good call. I’ll buy in a few sets of strings in advance of it’s arrival just in case.

Thanks so much Hank! It’s certainly a get clan to be in!

I was emailing Carolyn from Santa Cruz yesterday to check the specs (standard specs as I suspected) and she couldn’t have been more helpful!

All you Santa Cruz folk are so nice a great community. I’ve started listening to the podcast which is great too!

• #5329
                                                                                    Hank
                                                                                    Participant

Danny,

You might listen to this while you are awaiting its arrival…..enjoy

• #5330
                                                                                        Dannymeeg
                                                                                        Participant

Oh yeah!! I’ve watched that video a few (hundred) times! That was has the Adi braces/hot hide glue. I don’t know how much difference that’s makes.

I’m so excited!

• #5347
                                                                                          Hank
                                                                                          Participant

I’ll bet it won’t make as much difference as you think……..maybe if you played both side by side in a perfect acoustic studio you could hear a slight difference…..enjoy yours.

Slainte Mhath

• #5331
                                                                                          Acoustic Soul
                                                                                          Participant

Congrats!!

• #5332
                                                                                              Dannymeeg
                                                                                              Participant

Thank you and thanks for your input. I do appreciate it!

• #5365
                                                                                              Hank
                                                                                              Participant

Danny… what’s the word on your DE E.T.A. ?

• #5366
                                                                                                Dannymeeg
                                                                                                Participant

Hasn’t been shipped from the Netherlands yet 🙁 but it’s supposed to be here this week! I can barely contain my excitement!!!

• #5380
                                                                                                  Matt Hayden
                                                                                                  Participant

The Cowboy Singer is a fine guitar – it’ll be hard to top it.

• #5381
                                                                                                    Dannymeeg
                                                                                                    Participant

The guitar is scheduled for delivery tomorrow all going well! Beyond excited!

It’s coming from the Netherlands, roughly the same climate as Ireland. It’ll be cold tonight so how long should I allow the parcel to acclimatise before opening it?  It’s NOS so I wouldn’t expect any finish issues from opening too soon but better safe than sorry!

• #5384
                                                                                                      Hank
                                                                                                      Participant

If your burning Peat for heat then have a pint and a dram upon arrival, sing Irish Eyes are smiling and open the shipping box.

Repeat above (except sing Gallway Girls) and open the guitar case…..

if very cold wait 6-12 hours.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Hank.
                                                                                                      • #5386
                                                                                                        Dannymeeg
                                                                                                        Participant

Hahahaha! Thanks Hank!! I’ll give it a few hours so it gradually warms up!

• #5388
                                                                                                          Hank
                                                                                                          Participant

Probably a better idea than my method………looking forward to the grand opening.

• #5389
                                                                                                            Dannymeeg
                                                                                                            Participant

The guitar did not arrive today 🙁

It’s now in Germany so it’s actually further away than ever!

Here’s hoping it comes tomorrow!

• #5390
                                                                                                              Chrisakadigdog
                                                                                                              Participant

Hang in there Danny.  When you open the case and lift admireringly You will be so STOKED  with the first strum of the big D chord.

• #5391
                                                                                                                bert
                                                                                                                Participant

Hmmmm, sounds like it has been shipped by the US Postal Service.   hee

• #5392
                                                                                                                    Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                    Participant

Haha! I think all the carriers are struggling these days. Hopefully it will arrive soon! 🙂

• #5393
                                                                                                                    indexless
                                                                                                                    Keymaster

Cheap but accurate shot Bert! Except if it’s anything like the USPS, it will get to Scotland, then go back to Germany, then Scotland, then Germany, then they will figure it out.

Danny    I bought a 1952 Gibson Cf-100 in July and USPS (Priority $140.00) let it sit in a warehouse in Lexington Ky (8 days over 100) for 2 weeks. My guitar is fine now…take heart

Hey…think of it this way, if you got it it would have to sit in the box for 48 hours to adjust, it would be way worse looking at the box with the guitar inside, ask Lisa Liu, she wrote a song about it…….you and you’re guitar will be fine

• #5394
                                                                                                                      Hank
                                                                                                                      Participant

Hell Mate… I had  guitar sit in the planet of California for 5 days…… Those are really strange spaces,,,, they truly are removed from the real world.

• #5395
                                                                                                                        Matt Hayden
                                                                                                                        Participant

I had one shipped across the Atlantic stop in Madrid for a couple of days….and the endpoint as Germany.  How\ that happened is beyond me.

• #5396
                                                                                                                          Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                          Participant

Hey all!! The guitar is out for delivery so my next post will be initial review! YAY!!!

• #5397
                                                                                                                            Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                            Participant

Wow! This is one fine little guitar!

I’m blown away by the build quality. The mahogany is absolutely stunning and the burst is executed to perfection. I keep giggling like an idiot everytime I open the case!

This guitar has a lot of what I loved about the Skye. It’s light as a feather, super resonant and so responsive to even the lightest touch. Not like any other all hog Guitar I’ve ever played. I was worried it might be lacking in high end sparkle, it’s does not. I really love this little guitar.

It’s a while since I’ve owned a little guitar so it’s gonna take a bit of getting use to. The neck is also really wide and I’m use to a 45mm neck. Great for finger picking!

Ok, I still think I’ll end up getting a Skye but for the price I paid, I’m delighted with this guitar and I don’t think it will be going anywhere anytime soon!

My God! The good folk at Santa Cruz know how to build a fine guitar!

Thanks for all the help and input during this transaction! This is a great forum!

Danny

• #5399
                                                                                                                              Hank
                                                                                                                              Participant

Enjoy and yes Santa Cruz Guitars are like potato chips….You can’t just have one !

• #5456
                                                                                                                                Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                Participant

DE guitar

• #5457
                                                                                                                                  Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                  Participant

I’ve been recoding the Don Edwards guitar all morning and it sounds so good!

I tried to attach a picture but failed miserably… 🙁

• #5458
                                                                                                                                    indexless
                                                                                                                                    Keymaster

Danny,      Try using the last icon (mountain) next to the paper clip, pic’s should insert then, if not message me and I’ll get you hooked up

• #5459
                                                                                                                                      Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Don Edwards Cowboy Singer

• #5461
                                                                                                                                        indexless
                                                                                                                                        Keymaster

Danny….spill the beans….what are those mic’s? Is that a sliverface Princeton I see in the background?

• #5462
                                                                                                                                          Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Yay!! The photo uploaded! Thanks indexless!
                                                                                                                                            The mics are an Aston Spirit on the bottom and a 3u Audio Warbler II on the bottom. Both inexpensive but sound great. I have them set up for mid/side recording and it really sounds glorious! The amp is a Princeton indeed but it’s a reissue!

• #5465
                                                                                                                                            Chrisakadigdog
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Wow! That sunburst is glorious ! Even more inspiration to pick .

• #5466
                                                                                                                                              indexless
                                                                                                                                              Keymaster

Thanks Danny, I’ll look into them, mic’s are a black hole that never seems to stop, let’s hear some some samples!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by indexless.
                                                                                                                                              • #5468
                                                                                                                                                Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                                Participant

I’m very new to home recording. I just started to put the home studio together in the summer, a lockdown project. The Aston Spirit is an amazing mic for the money… less than $400. I’d like to buy more mics but I keep buying guitars! Haha

Just uploaded a quick snippet that you can check out below. I don’t have any proper recordings yet as I’m still learning proper mic placement! The below recording has a touch of compression, the low rumbly stuff taken out and a bit of verb for good measure!

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/HNWx1

• #5471
                                                                                                                                                    Hank
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Very Nice Mate…..Those who post audio are brave indeed……..Irish pride shows.

Are you as pleased with the guitar as you expected ??

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Hank.
                                                                                                                                                    • #5475
                                                                                                                                                      Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Thanks Hank!

I’m still very much in the honeymoon phase so a bit too soon to properly judge it but I sure do love this little guitar. It’s so easy to record too!

I still want a 00 Skye! Something to work towards I guess!

• #5470
                                                                                                                                                      indexless
                                                                                                                                                      Keymaster

Danny…..nice sound brother, I’m sure the guitar had nothing to do with it (my attempt at humor)…….I looked into those mic’s, nice….check out Lewitt mic’s, my hot fav right now on a budget, otherwise, bring in the fleet of U-47’s

• #5476
                                                                                                                                                          Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

The lewitt mics represent great value for money and the reviews are excellent. They were very much in the running and I still might pick up one of their small diaphragm mics. At their price point, I don’t think you could go wrong!

• #5473
                                                                                                                                                          Chrisakadigdog
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Well that sound snipit sounded Texas big. Definitely some Lone star vibe with a James McMurtry sounding flourish

very nice!

• #5474
                                                                                                                                                            tadol
                                                                                                                                                            Senior Moderator

Those small guitars are just lovely, and sound sooo sweet! I think you’ve found a very special guitar there – Congrats!!

• #5477
                                                                                                                                                              Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Many thanks for the feedback folks! Much appreciated!

When I get a proper recording done, I’ll share it with you all so you can get a good idea of what this little guitar can do! I have a friend is who is truly incredible on the guitar and I’d love to record him playing it as soon as it’s safe to be around other people!

• #5478
                                                                                                                                                                bert
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Sweet guitar, great sound.  best wishes, bert

• #5479
                                                                                                                                                                    Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Thanks Bert!

• #5529
                                                                                                                                                                    tadol
                                                                                                                                                                    Senior Moderator

So Danny – you’ve had that beauty a few weeks now, hopefully its all settled into your environment, and maybe you’ve even had a chance to tweak the setup and try some other strings –

whats the word?  😉

• #5530
                                                                                                                                                                      Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Haha! Funny you should mention strings… Nobody told me how much harder it is to change strings on a slothead!! My first attempt did not go well and I wasted two strings so it currently has 2 different types of strings on it, shameful stuff. I’ve learned from my mistakes and have a new set coming this week. Cannot wait to get a new complete set on it!
                                                                                                                                                                        I really think it’s a superb little guitar and records incredibly well. I’m not 100% sure it’s a keeper just yet… It’s lacking the presence of the Skye. Holding off judgement until I get a complete set of strings.

I got it for a great price so I won’t lose too much if I trade it in at some point. I’m going to play it for the next few months and see but it has definitely sold me on Santa Cruz guitars. The build quality is insane! No regrets buying it as I think it’s a great introduction into Santa Cruz guitars.

Thanks fo checking in Tadol!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Dannymeeg.
                                                                                                                                                                        • #5539
                                                                                                                                                                          Matt Hayden
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

The slothead thing is why I have a 00-29 rather than a Don Edwards.  I have a 128 year old Martin with a slothead and it is a beast to tune, as well as a 12-fret slothead, same thing. They get new strings less then others bc I don’t care for fighting with them.

In terms of presence, it’s just voiced differently than the Skye, which brings the auditory weight of cocobolo/spruce.  The DE and 00-29 are voiced a little more evenly with a bit less of a bump in the frequency range at either end of the compass, to my ear, but that’s what I like about them.  They’re open and airy and friendly….

• #5544
                                                                                                                                                                          Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Open and airy and friendly” – that’s actually a great description Matt! The Don Edwards is just so different than any other guitar I’ve owned. My other guitars currently are a big boomy J45 and a very nice midrangey voiced Lowden. The DE is very balanced indeed. I just need to give myself time with it. The wide neck is also challenging to be honest. I assume your 00 29 has a 45mm neck?
                                                                                                                                                                            Still waiting for my strings to arrive, hopefully they will come today.
                                                                                                                                                                            Thanks for the input Matt!

• #5548
                                                                                                                                                                            Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Strings came! A slightly neater job this time… Hope they hold tension! I use coated strings so won’t have to do that job for a while (thankfully)!

• #5547
                                                                                                                                                                              Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”></p>

• #5557
                                                                                                                                                                                tadol
                                                                                                                                                                                Senior Moderator

Looking good!

I admit that I really, truly, dislike slot heads – They are very pretty, and the design and aesthetics of them are quite elegant, but changing strings is just no fun. I can’t seem to ever do it without getting jabbed in a fingertip at least once, usually twice, and those jabs cause me a lot of pain for a day or two afterwards. I know – technique, patience, careful, etc – but regular paddle heads are so much easier –

• #5559
                                                                                                                                                                                  Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Yes, paddle heads are so much easier to restring but I do love the aesthetic of slotheads. It went a lot better this time I have to say and all strings seem to be holding tension! 🙂

I got a new mic in the post this morning (AKG C451 B) and I really love how this guitar records. A touch of compression, remove the low end rumble and add a tiny bit of reverb and you’re done! Perfect recording guitar for me so I don’t see this one going anywhere anytime soon!

• #5563
                                                                                                                                                                                      indexless
                                                                                                                                                                                      Keymaster

Danny,

451’s are excellent, great choice

• #5564
                                                                                                                                                                                        Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Thanks!! I have to say, I’m really impressed with it. The detail is incredible for a relatively cheap mic. It’s very bright which works for me because I’ve ordered a ribbon mic to pair it with for mid/side recording!

• #5561
                                                                                                                                                                                        bert
                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Tip

I don’t currently own a slothead but have owned several along the way.  Get one of the battery powered string winders, makes it much easier.  While you hold the string in position on the post with one hand, the winder makes the rest of the job a breeze.  bert

• #5562
                                                                                                                                                                                            Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

That’s an excellent tip! Thanks Bert!

• #5785
                                                                                                                                                                                            Dannymeeg
                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Me again! Just a quick follow up and I’ll leave you all alone!

I love this little guitar! Restrictions finally eased here in Ireland and I was able to get it to my luthier for a service. It felt great to me but as it was built in 2018, I wanted to make sure it was ok.

The luthier called me and said the action was a little high. I told him I like a high action so he said he’d put it back in the case for me to collect because it’s perfect. He mentioned that it’s very rare a guitar doesn’t require any attention after a few years (played or not). He also said “… And it looks great!”

I left up another new guitar with him and it has the dreaded hump at the neck joint. It needs a full refret and the fretboard to be shaved down a bit. 🙁 oh well, at least my Santa Cruz is perfect!!

Viewing 65 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.