Fixing old amps the easy way….

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums Electricity Fixing old amps the easy way….

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Matt Hayden
      Participant

I’ve got an old Deluxe Reverb that’s recently been having senior moments – it stutters and statics at inopportune times, including but not limited to gigs.  So I called a renowned local amp repair person to see about dropping it off to be fixed. After a description of the symptoms, he told me I needed….l

….wait for it…..

WD-40. Plain old hardware-store stuff.

He told me to pull the tubes out, spray WD-40 on the pins, re-insert it, pull it out again, wipe off the pins, and continue until no more crud came off the pins.  Y’know what? It works! I’ve spent about a zillion dollars on stuff like Deoxit to keep electronics clean, but apparently plain old WD-40 is fine.  The amp quieted down immediately and is behaving better all around. I also cleaned the input jacks this way, and that helped, too.

So there’s tech bulletin #whatever…..

Hank
        Participant

Matt,
          When we lived aboard our Gulfstar ketch and our Tiara we used a product called Corrosion X…We sprayed it on everything electrical or electronic…GREAT Stuff.
          It was actually demonstrated on electronics submerged in salt water.
          It protected for months and months.

Anonymous

Hey another good use for WD40 is to replenish the moline berry bait scent for steelhead fishing. It does contain some fish oil.

Good to know Matt. Thanks

Daniel
            Participant

Ahh!  Good ol’ Water Displacement 40!

Has anyone else ever read Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut?  WD40 always reminds me of Ice-Nine, and freaks me out a bit.  🙂

Daniel

indexless
              Keymaster

I have a tweed deluxe as well that’s just a head, about every two weeks it makes the worst noise possible, I pick it up and drop it from about 3 inches unto the speaker cabinet…..it fixes it perfectly….I bet WD40 is my answer as well….thanks Matt!!!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.