would love to hear Maestro Hoovers thoughts.

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums All about the wood would love to hear Maestro Hoovers thoughts.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111691

As I own a Braz/Adi 1934 D that I plan on passing down , I would love to hear Richard’s thoughts on this subject.

indexless
        Keymaster

Hank,

Tad and I just finished Podcast #19 with Richard. We’ll try to get that question into the next time we speak to him. As you will hear in the Podcast, it’s very busy times at SCGC and he is pulled in many new directions and he wishes he could be more involved in Q&A. We will ask next month when we speak again.

Hank
          Participant

Richard,

Thanks. I understand my small collection of SCGC instruments and my loyalty to SCGC in my choice of ‘Voices” in the instruments I play is of small importance to the big picture of SCGC .I have ALWAYS been given the utmost respect and consideration when  dealing with the artisans of SCGC……I was just wondering if a $ 25,000 guitar (replacement well over $30,00K) is going to someday have “issues ” that my heirs will have to address.

My most recent purchase of a  NEW SCGC instrument was a few months ago , A wonderful Granadillo/ Redwood FTC that I play everyday… I love the tone, The voice , The playability of the instrument, and ALL of my SCGC guitars. I currently own 5.

I would hope that an expression of curiosity as to the structural longevity of a Guitar  built from SCGC’s selection of Brazilian might be forth coming in a reasonable time frame.

indexless
            Keymaster

Hank,

Didn’t mean to offend in anyway. I found the question on AGF to be troll/click bait for an argument with no real answer. We will try to get an answer for you asap.

Hank
              Participant

Thanks Big Mon.

Rereading my post I appear to be selfish and Snarky …… did not mean to be that. I know that Mr. Hoover has a full plate and I hope all of his time is spent profitably.

I just wanted to hear his opinion and if any of his wonderful Braz creations have suffered from cracks. He has 40 years experience and we all look to him for Facts.

Again please forgive me …I meant no offense.

bert
                Participant

I do believe that the issue of braz rosewood cracking happens over time with slab cut (flat sawn, stump wood)…. quarter sawn along the grain lines stays good for the longest time.   Slab sawn is marketed for the visual attraction.  The guy being quoted said the same thing but using his description.  Any slab sawn wood can crack over time is my experience.  bert

Hank
                  Participant

Hank
                    Participant

can one tell by looking if slab/stump or quarter sawn ?

bert
                      Participant

This is a good example of quarter sawn (post #5) vs stumpwood (post #8). Post #9 by Buck says it all… It’s ‘what’s available today’. Top of the wood pile luthiers post on this thread and many other Log Cabin braz threads.

This is a deep topic but I hope this helps.

With the restrictions on braz, in 1989-90 CFM (as a company) switched from Braz to East Indian Rosewood. Some pre1990 Martins are worth their weight these days.

https://umgf.com/stump-wood-t175334.html#p174991

Hank
                        Participant

Thanks Bert.

the discussion you attached is very interesting.

Post 8 would appear to be most similar to my picture but that raises the question of age of the sets Richard uses for the 1934s.

It states in your attached article that “Most” stump wood  B/S were produced after the early 1990s.

The SCGC 34s use wood harvested in the 1930s…. When there was no thought of the wood becoming so difficult to procure. So I’ll just have to see what Mr. Hoovers thoughts are on the subject and I think I’ll send a email to Carolyn and inquire about mine.

I  was presented with several sets of Braz when I contracted to have SCGC build the guitar and all were beautiful…..so much so that I could not decide and left the choice up to The Maestro.

I was playing the 34 Zorro for several hours this morning and am still amazed at the Volume , Balance and Clarity that it produces.

The only reason I even posted about this subject is because when I sail beyond the horizon and leave my small collection to my Niece and Nephew I want to do all I can to pass on the information to them about what they are receiving . I want them to treat the guitars with the same love and respect for their history and artistry that made me purchase them in the first place.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.