Woodpile find: Lucky Strike redwood top

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums All about the wood Woodpile find: Lucky Strike redwood top

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Matt Hayden
      Participant

Was going through my stack o’joined tops which I haven’t touched in quite a while because of work.

Most of it’s good spruce of a couple of varieties, as well as some cedar and some oddities (Port Orford, Doug Fir) that I want to play with.

One thing I’d completely forgotten: a Lucky Strike redwood top I got from Alicia and Craig Carter twenty years ago.  It was good then, and a couple of decades sitting in a climate-controlled stack hasn’t done anything but help it be drier and ringy-er.

Every LS top I’ve heard has ridiculous, thick trebles, great evenness, lots of bass clarity, and lots of sustain.  Was a bit of a treat to find it.

Not sure what to build with it so far, but I’m thinking this and walnut or maybe rosewood in a small fingerstyle guitar.

Suggestions appreciated….

Old 97
        Participant

During my 90 minutes at Sylvan yesterday, two guitars stood out. The EIR FS with a Redwood top was exceptional. Brightness, clarity, with a warm roundness as well, it was the most beautiful of them all.

Hank
          Participant

Sinker Hog or “Tree Hog B/S……L.S. Top……Hog neck…L.S. headstock overlay…….Style 42 bling /Paua, MOP.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Hank.
            Matt Hayden
            Participant

I was thinking dalbergia melanoxylon but anything hard and ringy would do.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.