The one that got away

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Matt Hayden
      Participant

Some years ago, I played the F custom in the link below while visiting family in CT.

At the time, we were deep into a new mortgage and didn’t have quite enough to spare for it….but check it out:

https://acousticmusic.org/product/santa-cruz-custom-f-2/

That’s about as good an instrument as has ever been made by anyone.   It was spectacular.   If you haven’t played a mahogany/spruce F, all I can say is the design works utterly brilliantly.

Old 97
        Participant

At Sylvan in January, I payed an F Cutaway EIR with Redwood top and Koa binding at Sylvan. Stunning volume and tone. When they get it right, it is the sonic equal of a Traugott.

Matt Hayden
          Participant

That’s exactly what I was getting at, and you said it in fewer words.   If/when I can, I want to replicate that guitar – it was that good.

tadol
            Senior Moderator

It’s funny that you posted that – I’ve thought for some time that I’ve never seen a simple mahogany/spruce model F – just about every other wood combo imaginable, Eir, braz, koa, walnut, maple, sycamore – all with spruce – even maple/cedar, koa/koa, and mahogany/mahogany, but never mahogany/spruce –  I’m sure they’ve made a few, but other than that picture, I’ve not seen one anywhere –

hopefully they made at least one with a 1-13/16” nut – and hopefully, someday, someone, will put it up for sale!  –   😀

Matt Hayden
              Participant

That one had a neck you would love, Tad. It was literally a handful for me, but really a good shape.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.