Spectrum 12 string set

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Spectrum 12 string set

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

Awhile back I posted about a 12 string set that I bought from Sweetwater to replace the strings on the Taylor All Koa 12 sting that I bought from Digdog.

Tad asked me to let Y’all know how I liked them after some time had passed and I had played them in.

I like them…..I keep the guitar tuned D to D and play a capo 2nd fret for “standard” tuning.

First I must say that the Taylor neck is very easy to Barre chord. The Spectrum strings are also easy to Barre cleanly.

When I capo on the 2nd fret the octive strings stay in tune… The “standard strings tend to go sharp but not way off.

The spectrums are easy to finger and ,for a 12 string, take only light finger pressure to play and achieve a clear note.

I would buy them again……although I really DO HATE restringing a 12er.

I am therefore submitting my offer to BETA test the 12 string set that SCGC has hinted is coming …..Carolyn Sills are you listening?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Hank.
        • This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Hank.
        Matt Hayden
        Participant

How is the saddle on the Taylor compensated?  If the octave strings are compensated to the same length as the regular gauge strings, they will always go sharp, irrespective of the brand.  This is saddle (and possibly nut, depending on how far you’re willing to go) and  string geometry, not the strings.

Google “12 string guitar saddle compensation” and look at the different solutions people have used to correct the string length (compensation) on 12 strings.  It’s not common that the saddle on a 12-string is adequately wide (most are 3/32” or 2.3mm) to fully compensate the normal and octave strings, so some people widen the slot, while others add second saddles resting atop the bridge for the third through sixth courses to allow the octave strings to be compensated to play in tune.

(Signed, working on this on an older Ovation Glen Campbell 12-string. It’s maddening to try to intonate a 3/32” saddle on a 12-string.)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Matt Hayden.
          Hank
          Participant

Matt,

Looking with a magnifying glass it would appear that the wound “Standard” string are set Higher on the saddle than the wound. The Octives are set in a groove.

The 6 treble are all equal height on the saddle.

tadol
            Senior Moderator

What gauge are the Spectrums?  And tuned down a whole step? Wow – I’ve been doing a half step and capoing, but I get seriously buzzy w/lights tuned down – does feel good though – maybe I need mediums?

I’ve been playing with my amp set-up, and also recently installed a UltraTonic pickup in a SC koa H whose pickup had gone bad. Well, the H sounds fantastic, pickup and amp both great, so it encouraged me to pull out a Cumpiano electric 12 string I picked up a while ago.  Very odd guitar, but its nice as it has a short scale, and plays so easy even tuned up to pitch. But, its been a few years, and it needs fresh strings – I guess I’ll have to order some of these strings and set a few hours aside to make everything shiny –

Matt Hayden
              Participant

Hi Hank

The grooves in the saddle are likely worn in by the strings – strings seem to do that; they’re inherently abrasive.  and the nut action could cause them to go sharp when capping.

Ultimately, though, it’s the adjustment to string length rather than string height that determines in-tune-ness.  And that is a fussy thing.  It’s possible to make 12-strings play more in tune by intonating the octave string to the front of the saddle and the normal string further back, but it takes time and effort.  See the diagram below for a better idea.  I’m doing this now on an old Ovation Glen Campbell and it’s making me glad I have both an abundance of patience and an abundance of tiny files.  So far, I have the lowest 3 strings in reasonable tune, and will finish it up this weekend.  The saddle looks like a piece of abstract art, but it works…..

12-string intonation

Hank
                Participant

Matt,

Thanks SO much. My old eyes will look a little closer at the saddle.

Carolyn at SCGC has agreed to send me a set of their 12 strings packs to beta test .I want to make very sure that the saddle is perfect .

I’m sure that Chris had the set up perfect when he sold me the guitar. ….But as I have said I switched to Spectrums. I am pleased with them .

I think that my old eyes and stiff hands may not be capable of working on the saddle.

We don’t have any decent techs in our area…….any suggestions as to  how I might achieve ?

Maybe have Bob Colosi make me one ? or just go with existing ?

DigDog…If you might comment ?

Barber Derek
                  Participant

That’s great, Carolyn is the best!

Matt Hayden
                    Participant

Hank,

Here’s what I do with 12-strings:

• get the saddle to the height where I want the action, usually leaving a flat top.   It’s buzzy but don’t worry – you’re not done yet.
                      • String up the guitar with that saddle to make marks where the strings pass over it.
                      • Unstring & remove saddle, and then mark and file the compensation as shown above using a foam core nail file from CVS – they’re cheap, cut bone or tusq or ivory very well, and cost next to nothing.  Don’t adjust the height, just the location of the break angle over the saddle.
                      • When you’re done, it’ll play wonderfully in tune.

This process works great for me.  It takes some patience but it’s worth it. And your eyes aren’t so old that you can’t do it – I’m nearsighted as can be and I do it regularly.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Matt Hayden.
                      • This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Matt Hayden.
                  Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.