Santa Cruz Coffee Break Lunch with Richard Hoover #8 Guitar tops part 2

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums All the SCGC podcasts are here Santa Cruz Coffee Break Lunch with Richard Hoover #8 Guitar tops part 2

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      indexless
      Keymaster

Greetings:

Here is part of guitar tops and this one is fantastic. Bust those myths and learn from the Maestro Richard Hoover and remember to hit that SHARE button  Music for this episode is by forum member Daniel check his Soundcloud page here and follow him  https://soundcloud.com/nestlerode

Thanks, hope you enjoy

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by indexless.
        • This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by indexless.
        haasome
        Participant

Once again, great information presented in a very enjoyable format. Thanks to all.

– Paul –

Chrisakadigdog
          Participant

Very enjoyable.  Got to go find me a. $3 dollar bill

Hank
            Participant

Really informative and done in a very relaxed fashion. As usual, well done Richard N. and Tad.

Richard’s explanation of “Why” a 2 piece top was great….I could picture the Audio Physics perfectly.

This is a great project, so that The Maestros thoughts and concepts will be gathered in a spot we can all share

indexless
              Keymaster

Share and Share again……honored and grateful to be a part

Barber Derek
                Participant

Another great episode, thanks for all the great content. Just ordered my first SCGC guitar and went with a Sinker Redwood top, I can hardly wait!

bert
                  Participant

Thanks Tad, Rich and Mr Hoover. Finally got a chance to give a listen, you guys have got it going. What a treat to hear so much depth on the subject.

For years I’ve heard the classical guitar descript of student, intermediate, and pro level guitars. Your conversation made me think of what I call ‘cookie cutter’ guitars from the big factories which are in the stores in mass. Some of their ‘pro’level products don’t really hunt (shutup bert). Warranty issues are huge. I read Bob Taylor describing his Mexican made models that have to be made absolutely perfect because warranty issues can kill the limited profit.

Anyhow, the tradeoff between factory and luthier made is huge in my mind, enjoyed this very much.
                    thanks again, keep them cards and letters coming.  bert

indexless
                    Keymaster

Bert!   Thanks…..that means a lot. There are a lot of times when I’m sitting there under the headphones and my jaw is on the floor, my gratitude for the opportunity to be in the room is huge!

tadol
                      Senior Moderator

Richard not only records these, he edits them, frames them, and posts them up – all between keeping this forum running, and one must presume, having some small time left to play guitar and have a life! We all, and especially myself, owe him a great debt for his contributions to these endeavors –

Matt Hayden
                        Participant

Looking forward to listening to this on the drive home tonight.

Thank you Richard and Tad for putting these together!

Daniel
                          Participant

I enjoyed that.  Thanks guys!

Is there some way you could credit the music you use at the opening?  Maybe tag it on Soundcloud?

Thanks!

Daniel

tadol
                            Senior Moderator

Thats a great idea – there have been a few challenges working with Soundcloud that I believe have been worked through, but adding a music tag would be a new one that could be looked into –

Barber Derek
                              Participant

Not sure if this is the appropriate way to do this, but I have a suggestion or two for other topics I would love to see on the “Coffeebreak.”

– Could we get some more info on bracing? Ie. Difference in regular spruce v adi braces? Effect of hide glue? Advanced bracing? Tapered v scalloped? I feel like this is a huge area of confusion for me and erroneous information in general.

– How big an impact does guitar size and shape have on the playing style and/or music that is played on a particular instrument? Ie. Bluegrass instruments seem to be (almost invariably) dreadnoughts, “fingerstyle” guitars are often mid or smaller body styles. Is this set in stone? Given that SCGC does so much custom work and has so much skill and experience does Richard feel these stereotypes apply to SCGC guitars?

Anyway, love the podcasts and looking forward to more amazing “Coffeebreak” content in the future.
                                Thank you for all your hard work.

tadol
                                  Senior Moderator

Its like you’re in our brain!

Yes – bracing is on the schedule – your questions are already on my list!

Body size / shape as it relates to playing or music style is an interesting question. I’ll have to think about that a bit more, as I seem to think that its more about what feels good to you than a question of musical interest – although a larger guitar seems generally more capable of higher volume than a small one. But how that relates to musical style is where I have a problem. Some styles seem to be better suited to imbalanced EQs – like bluegrass guitars always strike me as being bass dominant, while fingerstyle seem a bit more trebly, and strummers more midrangey – but whether that’s the guitar, or the player, or the musical style, I’m really not sure. And since Richard can eq a guitar almost any way you want it – well . . .

Its an interesting question – we’ll have to see how we can fit it into a wider context –

Hank
                                  Participant

Also would  Love to hear, in The maestro’s own words, the sonic results of using MOP or Paua or wood as binding material material.

indexless
                                    Keymaster

Great stuff guys….keep in coming, the next one we are doing is staying on the TOPS theme with Adam Rose,  Majestic, I say the questions today and you are right on track….Zorro, we’ll put that in the landing pattern for you

Stay tuned and safe y’all

tadol
                                      Senior Moderator

Binding? Or purfling?  It makes me think we should have one on guitar vocabulary!  But I know what your saying – and we’ll have to figure out what to fit that into –

haasome
                                        Participant

Here’s an observation that I’m not sure is simply my old ears or a common characteristic of full scale OM & 000 size guitars. I find the sound coming from the B & G strings when flat picked is more percussive and punchy than other models. Just me? If it’s not just me, then why is it so?

– Paul –

Chrisakadigdog
                                          Participant

Bridge plate’s , sizing ,woods and shape and there effect upon tone?… I have several higher end builds that have rosewood bridge plates and all of them share a very similar brighter tone and clarity.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.