Rescued an 89′ Martin 000-16M

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Rescued an 89′ Martin 000-16M

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      bert
      Participant

Sometimes these kind of things just don’t work out… hold the phone, this one did. Martin built 40 of these in 1989-90 era, (my understanding) during a try this/try that period. This model has the same specifications as the OM18V that came a while later, 1/4″ scalloped bracing, etc.

I bought it in Oct with the idea that I know the perfect luthier to recondition if I decide to invest further. After a while I decided it was in great condition except it needed a neck reset, frets lifting on the outsides and bindings that needed repair. The fretboard, bridge, bridge plate, sitka and honduran mahogany were all in very good condition. It’s likely that somebody didn’t play this one much over the years, green light come on. I replaced the Rotomatic tuners with Gotoh 510sx, good start….

In Dec I took it to the best luthier I know with the understanding that he had a two month backlog. Worth the wait, the luthier did a fabulous job and now I have a 31yr old jewel.  I’ve been without a CF Martin for a good while now but it’s good to be back to where it all started for a lot of us.  bert

Chrisakadigdog
        Participant

VERY NICE!     I love it when old wood guitars and the right amount of TLC breathes new life into the old souls.

Matt Hayden
          Participant

That’s great – it’s got a dovetail as well.  Is it 1-11/16” or 1-3/4”?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Matt Hayden.
            bert
            Participant

The previous owner only had it for a year but he did a great deal of research on the model talking to Martin, UMGF, etc. He listed it as 1 3/4″ at nut but it’s actually 1 23/32″. These guitars were built before CNC, necks do vary a little. Martins were mostly handmade from this era, have a trussrod, dovetail neck joint, vintage bracing, etc. The satin finish helps give it antique look which is like a ~2k upgrade on a lot of new guitars. (shutup bert)

It came with a new K&K installed, I gave the previous owner 1095
              + 80 for the Gotoh 510sx tuners
              + 700 for the luthier
              1875 total…. I’m good
              Previous owner said he was going to use the money to buy a new Taylor, should send Bob Taylor a thank you note. bert

Matt Hayden
              Participant

That’s a great deal.  I’m jealous – that’s a real find!

Which 510s?  I am fond of the 510SXN-V (the ones that have ferrule shafts like closed-backs).

bert
                Participant

These are the Gotoh SXN510V Nickel, they are the Rotomatic (racoon eye washer) replacement set. The Gotoh washer covered enough of the shaded racoon eye to make me ok.

Matt Hayden
                  Participant

Same ones I have on my OMC-15E. Love ‘em!

Hank
                    Participant

Matt….That’s a wonderful catch.

40 years ago I bought a mid 1960’s 000-18 from a shop in Chicago…..sold it for a roof on a cabin…..still miss it.

Play the songs of the years of your guitars birth………at 40 years old It will sing out clear.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Hank.
                      Hank
                      Participant

Sorry Bert….tried to change name.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.