Pleking

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Realtorguy
      Participant

I have a question. I bought a 1999 om, Santa Cruz of course. Action is high and I figure with its age a good plek set up is a good idea. I need the action lowered for my playing. I have contacted Santa Cruz and they are about double what anyone else wants for “apparently” the same service. I would much rather SC do it but what is yalls thoughts on this?

Anonymous

Well worth it  .  You could take your Porsche to the local home town garage?  There’s no place like home for your sweet SCGC OM.

tadol
          Senior Moderator

A full plek job is a pretty serious amount of work, and if your only concern is that the action is a little high, it may be much more than you need.  If you’re reasonably local, I’d run ot by the shop and get their opinion on what the best thing to do is.  If you’re not nearby, have you had a good tech or luthier take a look at it? I’ve had one guitar plek’d by SCGC, and it was an amazingly good setup – but I’ve also had Stephen Strahm and Bruce Sexauer each do very light, quick adjustments to a couple other guitars, and the playability improvement was incredible, and I don’t believe the full plek treatment would have made them noticably better. Now, if I needed some new frets, and had some fretboard issues,  maybe nut & saddle work, that’d be the perfect time to get everything dialed in, but otherwise –

I mean, why rebuild the engine if you only need a new set of plugs?

indexless
            Keymaster

I think the Plek machine is simply amazing, your guitar is in tune all the way up the neck

Anonymous

I was also told that the price was pretty high, but wanting to at least not regret not going to the best possible for something that means as much to me as my guitars, I sent it off to SCGC and when it came back, I was thrilled with the results. Maybe not necessary, but absolutely no regrets!  A lot of places can repair a Rolex, but I always recommend sending to a Rolex center, and since Sant Cruz guitars are the Rolex of guitars, I recommend sending your Santa Cruz guitar to  Santa Cruz for Pleking or anything else it may need.

hairpuller
                Participant

I have an appt. on June 4 to get my 000 a good plekking! Really excited to see and hear the difference. I’m going to also have them give it a once-over just to get it playing exactly as they built it to. C’mon summer!

scott

Old 97
                  Participant

Take Tad’s advice.

hairpuller
                    Participant

Makes sense. I’ll have their tech take a look and go with he/she recommends. Thanks!

Hank
                      Participant

Realtor guy and Hair puller
                        Have Gerard look at you Guitars..he is a player, He’ll tell you straight. When He and Richard and Carolyn introduced me to my 34 Zorro Custom, Gerard said “Never sell this one, It’s a Keeper “.
                        I love Carolyn but she can’t tell…She’s a BASS PLAYER !!!

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Hank.
                        hairpuller
                        Participant

Gerard! Here I come. Thanks for the heads up!

scott

Anonymous

I wish someone from SCG would chime in on this.

What I have read about the machine would leave me to believe;

1. Basic observations while the guitar is strung up and under tension will still allow good decisions on truss/relief adjustments, saddle height and fret wear/replacement?

2. The plek allows for modelling/charting using repeatable  measurements while under tension.

3. The plek generated profiles would allow decisions to be made based on comparisons to accepted “best of” set ups.

If these statements are true then maybe a SCG rep could tell us how a “best of” setup  is reflected in changes to the sound of the same guitar?

I’m just thinking here that a higher overall saddle position on my Tony Rice for my more aggressive flatpicking style created a change in the attack and decay on single notes??

While a lower overall saddle created a softer attack and decay??

This may have been my imagination since it was impossible to do a blind test with one guitar? This should be something SCG could educate us on so we can make better decisions on Plek setups.

SCG’s?

Thanks

Tom eh

indexless
                            Keymaster

Tom eh

Here’s what the Plek can do

https://www.santacruzguitar.com/plek-service/

Anonymous

That is a mighty fine presentation. Richard clarity of thought on the process is reflected very well here.  Now back to playing my D Law.  Extremely fine video work Indexless

Hank
                                Participant

If ALL guitars from SCGC have been pleked for several years now before leaving the shop, I believe the issue as to the value of it being done are a given.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.