New SCGC OMG demo

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      bert
      Participant

John Cable of Maple St Guitars in ATL.. demo of:

Rosewood vs Mahogany OM Grand models, just posted this morning. IMO, this very clearly provides a sound reference for the diffs of the two models.

I’m not affiliated with Maple St but a long time customer and friend of the Petsch family. bert

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by indexless.
        bert
        Participant

Title says OM… should have said OMG.  me sorry, bert

Hank
          Participant

Thanks Bert , it’s obviously 2 different voices and both are wonderful. Hog is Hog and Rosie is Rosie.

So much for those who claim that there is no “real” difference in tone woods.

tadol
            Senior Moderator

I played a rw vs a mahog OMG at LA Guitar Sales a couple years ago – From behind the guitar, the mahogany had me completely won over, but with this video, I’d have a very hard time deciding between them –

Thats one model of SC I’d love to spend more time getting to know –

Acoustic Soul
              Participant

That’s pretty good!  I did a comparison in Austin between my Italian/Cocobolo and an Adirondack/African blackwood.  Totally liked the shop one better than mine, until I gave up on santa cruz strings and put on 80/20 on mine.  I think 80/20 really helps with rosewoods being less metallic for me.  I wouldn’t choose again a rosewood OM Grand for strumming, but a deep body mahogany I might give a shot… or a deep body on that African blackwood one.

I’m actually selling my Italian/Cocobolo on reverb, I feel like it’s more of a Skye model , very rich and complex more for finger style.  I like to strum with thick picks and sing and it gets in the way of my voice.  If anyone ever becomes interested… I love the guitar for what it does, but that is something that I pretty much never personally do music wise

Tad I agree with you, a lot of Santa Cruz mahogany guitars are more pleasing to me behind the guitar, but when I listen to video my wife shoots the rosewood sounds good when you get far away from the guitar whereas the mahogany can start to sound a little too dry in a bigger acoustic audience.  Always very interesting… I would love to have many santa cruz guitars to use for whichever situation

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Acoustic Soul.
                Acoustic Soul
                Participant

Hmmmm, I went to edit my post but it’s not showing.  I was just trying to add on that my wife always tells me my guitar sounds better when I play with my fingers – but then I tell her I like to strum!  She can see my predicament with the guitar sounding so good, but only being the right guitar to use 15-25% of the time for me.  I can get by with it as a strummer with medium gauge 80/20 strings on the slightly higher saddle Richard cut.  It still shines with lights and fingers though.  I’m so glad that she gets down in the nitty gritty with me on guitars and supports having multiple… she even wants to pick up some instruments now!  Winner!

haasome
                  Participant

I’ve been down this exact same road. And ultimately asked the SCGC shop to work with me on an Italian/Cocobolo OMG. This result of that custom order is a guitar that has no better, in my collection. There are a couple of other guitars that are equals, but none better. I also own a SCGC German/EIR OM with the honey sunburst, that I like a whole lot too. I find the complex harmonics, sustain and overall warmth is just stellar.

I’ve owned an Adirondack/Mahogany H13 that I liked a lot and played many OMG and OM mahogany SCGC guitars in my search, but always landed on the rosewood side. I almost always love both woods with fingers, but I have found the mahogany guitars have a fundamental dry punch, especially on the E-B-G strings, that I couldn’t get to square with my ears. We all like what we like, and fortunately SCGC is able to deliver. Here’s my 3 year old Italian/Cocobolo OMG.

– Paul –

haasome
                    Participant

Great comparison in the OP video. I enjoyed that post, thanks.

What I didn’t make clear in my post above was that I find that the strong dry fundamental tone on E-B-G comes through when playing SCGC mahogany with a flat pick & not fingers. I do like mahogany guitars, but I think I would need to discuss my expectations thoroughly on a custom order, or keep playing & searching for the “mahogany” I like.

Here’s my great SCGC OM German/EIR.

– Paul –

Hank
                      Participant

Paul,….I always look forward to your “educated ear” comments regarding SCGC builds.

I mean no disrespect to any of our forum members ,past or present, but I feel like my small collection covers a whole lot of the SCGC story and I would not,could not, part with any of them.

bert
                        Participant

Paul, your OMs are sweet. The OMG rosewood in the demo sounds fab, got me jonesin’ and I’m a mahog guy. Years ago, Lindsay Petsch at Maple St told me that I play a rhythmic arpeggio, I said a what? (notes, not leads, off chordial patterns) Thumbing is as close to fingerstyle as I dare go.

That said, my two favorite guitars for the past 6mos have been my SCGC VJ sitka/mahog and a local luthier built, small jumbo custom – with torrified Carpathian spruce/sinker mahogany. One complements the other like a pair gloves. The Carpathian/sinker has been a real winner for me, great balance across the registers, up/down the neck, etc. I know Richard loves Carpathian. fwiw…. bert

Acoustic Soul
                          Participant

I think part of a recipe for an OM Grand for me that would have improved what I ordered on my Italian Cocobolo prewar braced one would be to have a slightly shorter scale… 24.9 or 25.25 as well as a deep body.  I notice the skye model uses that as well on the OO and I think it would really complete the package.  I’m surprised more OM Grands haven’t gone out with those specs.  I’d really be curious to see a 12 fret version as well.  I think that would be super tasty and for me sit the guitar I have now into perfection based off of how it effects other models.

Zorro, I know I can speak for myself that when we only have 1 santa cruz we always have those frustrations playing one all the time when we ourselves try to cover a lot of ground haha.  I wish we were all able to have a collection such as you!  One cure for being tired of a sonic characteristic is to have an opposite and complimentary one available hehe, after all my long scale projective focused metallic OM Grand can in no way strum the way a RS or VS would , and I have a particular affinity for adirondack and have not found anything else to replace it.  Yes I like sitka and italian, but ohhhh something about that pick response from adirondack and power is just so quintessential

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Acoustic Soul.
                            haasome
                            Participant

Acoustic Soul — I’m familiar with your description of your OMG. My OM shares some of those attributes. I had a very good round of discussions when my OMG was being specified, so they would not duplicate that tone. I started the conversation with my tonal desires. The wood & bracing followed. The result of our discussions…

“We can definitely dial this in for you. If you want that deep, balanced, rich.. more ‘wet’ vs. ‘dry’ sound, I would go with Rosewood, either Indian or Cocobolo and a European Spruce… Indian will have more roundness of sound to it, Cocobolo will have a bit more clarity, and be a bit darker in tone, but both will satisfy the sound you are going for… European Spruce will be brighter than Sitka, but warmer than Adirondack, giving you more balance in the voicing.”

The resulting tone for my OMG is as dark, rich and balanced as I could of ever hoped for. They knew this tone was crucial to my wishes and they nailed it. I think much of this was accomplished with the bracing they carved & positioned to voice the guitar. I have to say, I’ve never heard an SCGC OMG or OM with such a dark lush voice, especially with high end sparkle.

– Paul –

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by haasome.
                              Hank
                              Participant

AC, You are always welcome to play any of the Ramuda if you ever get to the Gulf Coast of S.W. Florida.

play as long as you want and then see if your search for your perfect tonal match is conceived……otherwise you should get a long term room at the Three Sisters Inn in Santa Cruz and have Maestro Hoover hypnotize you into expressing exactly what you want. ……Then they will build it….of course “there is no price on a good time”.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Hank.
                                haasome
                                Participant

Continued… I never seem to be allowed to add to, or edit my posts after I post them.

What I wanted to add is I agree with Acoustic Soul about my love for Adirondack Spruce. I have Adirondack tops on 6 of my 11 guitars. I don’t always appreciate the tone immediately when the build is fresh, Upon delivery, but give it a little time, and they play-in nicely. My favorite top wood overall.

– Paul –

Barber Derek
                                  Participant

Tremendous guitar, thanks for the photos. I had an outstanding experience at SCGC with Richard when I went to take the tour and order my first guitar. I took my current favorite guitar and after I played a bit Richard asked me, “What do you like about it? What would you change?” Simple, but useful questions. Due to COVID-19 I’m still waiting for the the guitar to be completed, but I’m confident it will be outstanding!

Matt Hayden
                                    Participant

Got a chance to play some slide on a rosewood OMG recently and it was revelatory. Really deep and growly, just great.  It’s a really good design.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.