Nashville tuning string set

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Nashville tuning string set

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

Does any one know where I might order a set of “Nashville tuned” set of strings ?

Preferably something Y’All have personally used .

Hopefully of the quality of SCGC strings .

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Hank.
        indexless
        Keymaster

Here Zorro,

Plenty of options

D’Addario EJ38H   acoustic

D’Addario EXL150H    electric

Get a great capo and go crazy

Hank
          Participant

Thanks Mate,

I’ve got a couple of Elliotts….I’m covered on that front.

Hank
            Participant

Which one of the Ramuda should I use for Nashville tuning….. Opinions ?

indexless
              Keymaster

1963 Gibson Hummingbird

Hank
                Participant

Damn…Got one I can Barrow ??….so …Which one of the Ramuda ??

Matt Hayden
                  Participant

Whichever is built the lightest, Nashville tuning takes most of the tension off the instrument, so you want to use the very lightest instrument you have for it.  I used to take instruments with failing tops or in need of neck resets and extend their lives until work could be done by using Nashville on ‘em.

Hank
                    Participant

Thanks Matt….does the reduced tension on the instrument mean that one should NOT leave Nashville strings on for a long period of time ?

The  “Lightest” build I have is ‘The Tree” OM , next would be the F.

I ordered a set of D’Addario  ej38h acoustic as suggested by Indexless.

Hank
                      Participant

Sorry.. tried to edit.

The OM is the lightest….next is the 34 Zorro.

Hank
                        Participant

After consultation with a “Wizard of Smart ” member of this forum….I’m going to string the O.T. H with the D’Addario Nashville tuned strings……..I’ll let Y’all know how it turns out.

Matt Hayden
                          Participant

The extra light tension won’t hurt the guitar.  It might necessitate a truss rod tweak if the rod is set for normal tension.

Nashville is fun, though.  Finger picking in it is different….

Hank
                            Participant

Well to quote the “Men On Film” segment on the old “In Living Color show….Hated It !!!

I would restring with the SCGC Lites tomorrow but Dellinor -Wiggins State Park beach is open tomorrow and it one of the prettiest beaches in Florida and we are a short bike ride away.

Unless all I ever want to play is the intro to “Hotel California “( and the Nashville tuning is perfect for that ) I’ve had my experiment with Nashville tuning.

Way too High Hat brilliant for my ear. The O.T. had wonderful sustain but no soul or depth with these strings

Also working with those strings is like tying knots on a 6 weight fly line…at least for these old hands and eyes.

I broke the D string just about an inch and a half beyond the tuning peg and it took me at least 10 minutes to wind on enough to bring it up to tune. I used a Hemostat and and a lot of sweat and and swear words. !!!

SOOOO….I guess I need to find an inexpensive…but decent quality 12 string to Play with.

Chrisakadigdog
                              Participant

???

Matt Hayden
                                Participant

Playing in that tuning requires a little rewiring and rearranging to keep the melody lines where you want ‘em.

They are also great for filling out tracks.  But by itself it can be a little hard to take.

Hope you find a good 12.

Chrisakadigdog
                                  Participant

Or a Roger Mc. 7 string.   I keep My cheap A&L Ami strung with Nashvilles.   Gets played maybe 3 times a year for about 1/2hr and I’m good till the next time.haha. Kinda fun.  Put capo on it and its sorta mandolin’y vibe.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.