Mid Tension strings on a FS ?

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums Ask Santa Cruz Guitar Company Mid Tension strings on a FS ?

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

On another Forum there was a question about using SCGC Mid tension strings on a FS model.
        I think the FS comes from the Mothership strung with Light Tensions.
        My FS Cutaway has always had the Lites. Is the bridge/neck strong enough for Mids…anyone done it ??

sdelsolray
        Participant

I used SCGC Parabolic medium tension strings on my FS for a couple of years, along with other strings of roughly the same overall tension for many years before that. No issues.

Keep in mind that SCGC Parabolic medium tension strings have the tension of a set of light gauge strings, not a set of medium gauge strings.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by sdelsolray.
            Hank
            Participant

Thanks for the reply.
              would you be able to describe the difference in tone/volume to me.
              Playing the SCGC Mid-tension is very easy for me as far as fingering is concerned.

Anonymous

I just received my new OMG, literally FedEx delivered it two hours ago.  Having not used the Parabolic SC strings before, I assume that these are low tension simply from their feel.  The website describes using, and I assumes ships, the low tension strings on small body guitars.  It sounds like the FS comes with them, so I assume that the OMG does as well.  Can anyone confirm this?  I like their feel and balance and plan to stick with them for now on this guitar which is mahogany and European spruce.

Richard Hoover
              Senior Moderator

We list the gauge of strings that we choose for a particular model to please most peolple, most of the time. This is not a dictate or necessarily even a a recommendation.

The FS will be OK with mid tension SCGC strings if: The action is maintained at a reasonable height (no more that 3/32″ as measured from the bottom of the low E string to the top of the 12th fret). The neck should be adjusted to a proper relief for your playing style. There is a thorough description of this under ‘Care and feeding” at http://www.santacruzguitar.com Do note that when changing tensions on your guitar you may need to adjust neck and action to maintain the same settings that you had become accustomed to.

All the best,

Richard

Richard Hoover
                Senior Moderator

Thank you all…

Please note:

SCGC Mid tension strings are not as heavy as most commercial medium Ga. sets, though they not as low tension as standard light gauge sets either.

OMG models are sent out with low tension SCGC strings because…the gauge of strings that we choose for a particular model is to please most peolple, most of the time. This is not a dictate or necessarily even a a recommendation. If you set and maintain your action (string height) to proper specifications than the use of strings like, or comparable to, SCGC Mid tension will be ok under normal heat and humidity conditions…please monitor your action, especially with seasonal change. Thank you!

Lower tension strings impart less energy than higher tensions, therefore generating less or more volume respectively. This is rarely as big of a consideration as the advantage to tension of the strings on the fretting hand and the shorter vs. longer distance between frets.

All the best,

Richard

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.