Med. Tension SCGC strings on F model

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Med. Tension SCGC strings on F model

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

I know a number of you have restrung an F model with Med tension SCGC strings. The F is shipped with lites.
        I have checked with Carolyn at the Mothership and also with Tadol and they both say OK to do.
        I am restring my F Cutaway this morning W/ Meds and am wondering what difference in volume/tone/sustain those who have have done so have noticed.
        I will be traveling to Colorado this August and am going to take the F with me.

tadol
        Senior Moderator

The only guitars I use the Mediums on are my baritones – Haven’t found enough benefit switching from lights on any other, but have wondered is the short scale F might gain a bit –

Def interested in what your feeling are about it!

Hank
            Participant

At first blush….I’m not pleased with the change.
              The guitar has lost some of the “warmth/depth/note seperation that I love about the F model.
              It is louder but not as balanced as with the lites.
              They are new strings so I’m going to see if a bit of playing time changes my opinion.

Hank
            Participant

The Mids are starting to mellow…sound is warmer…better note seperation and sustain…..I’ll keep them on for awhile longer and see what happens.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Hank.
              Frozen Rat
              Participant

I tried the mediums on one of my 00 guitars and found it sounded kind of duller. I feel the lows vibrate the 00 size better and make the guitar feel and play more lively. So, like you, I wasn’t happy with that change. I’ve been trying other makes of strings too and I haven’t found one yet that I could say is better, which isn’t terribly surprising. John Pearse PBs in 12 come close but you have to let them break in for a few days. Still, I won’t put the JPs on there again since they don’t bring anything new or better to the table.

I heard that SCGC used to come with Elyxr strings before they developed their own. I’m tempted to try them just to see what they sound like. Generally though I have never been fond of that string brand but curiosity might win out and I’ll try them too.

Santa Cruz 00 — Goodall 000 — Martin 00-28

Quake17
                Participant

Interesting observations about the medium tension SC strings. I have three F models (Yeah, I know) but have not played around with strings much. I know that I generally do not care for the “zinginess” of brand new strings as I prefer them after a week or so to mellow out a bit.

F Cocobolo/Sitka
                  F African Blackwood/Moon Spruce
                  F Mahogany 1929
                  000-12 Cocobolo/Italian
                  H Brazilian Rosewood/German

Hank
                    Participant

The Mids are growing on me on the F….I am finishing up my restringing tomorrow with lites on the O.T. tomorrow.
                      The longer the Mids are on the F…?????

tadol
                    Senior Moderator

3 Fs!  Thats great  – doesn’t make me feel so crazy having 5 – or is it 6? Well, ones a 12 string, so it doesn’t count –

😉

Matt Hayden
                      Participant

There are some FTCs in that list, too, right?

…..someday, I’m going to get one.  They’re a great cross between a flat top and an archtop….

Viewing 6 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.