Light Tension vs Medium Tension Strings Compared and Contrasted with 80/20 Meds

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums Videos and shows Light Tension vs Medium Tension Strings Compared and Contrasted with 80/20 Meds

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Acoustic Soul
      Participant

Ok, I spent several hours compiling these videos after changing strings and waiting and then editing it all together and this is what I have to show for myself…. a video comparing the light tension and medium tension strings in what I hope you think is an effective, helpful, and objective manner

Light Tension vs Medium Tension

backup link

What do you guys think about it?  Want to chime in specifically on this guitar’s voice and the strings?  Would love some help!

Hank
        Participant

A.C.,

Thanks for that…..I’m sure that was a lot of work to put together….and it was well done.

I use the Lite tension on the F, Om , H-13 O.T. and Mediums on the 34 Zorro.

This is the recommendation of SCGC.

I tried the meds. on the F for awhile but found that they were a bit “blunt” sounding…….changed back to lites.

Again thanks.

Acoustic Soul
          Participant

Hey Zorro, glad you got something from it and enjoyed it!

Yeah the OM Grand is kind of in a funny place, I spec’d mine to be good for mediums, but I can’t quite say it likes them as much as lights even though it’s in between smaller and larger body sizes.   Blunt is a good word, mine sounds that way too with them despite the help to performance boost wouldn’t you say?

What’s interesting though is the 80/20 strings don’t sound as blunt to me, but they do still a little.  I’m going to try 80/20 on the 5th and 6th string and monel on the 3rd and 4th to see if that gives me just a little bit more clear overtones that my guitar needs for balance

Hank
            Participant

Mate

Your ears and audio perception are WAY beyond me……..If  a guitar/string combo gives me audio pleasure….I accept it and “Play On”…..but then I’m old enough to accept the world “as it is”.

Acoustic Soul
              Participant

Ah yes, I grew up in the age of the curse ‘explain everything’ – as music rips through my soul I feel the need to deconstruct it so I can rebuild it in a way that has a bigger statement for my perspective of the world with the pieces I like…. Luckily for about the first 17-20 years of my life I was lucky enough to grow up around a lot of 60s and 70s songs and listened to them for sheer pleasure and in total ignorance before I decided to pursue music.  I credit that time as being very formative though for music dissection, it was a lot of music listening with no judgment

Thank you for chiming in, please feel free to share any opinions that come to you in the future 😀

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Acoustic Soul.
            Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.