It’s hard to let go –

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion It’s hard to let go –

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      tadol
      Senior Moderator

So, for no useful reason, I’ve always wanted to get one of all the slightly more unusual instruments that’ve come out of the SC shop. I think it started with the FTC, and then I found a beautiful FJZ – but I couldn’t afford it.  I’ve still got feelers out for a SC ukulele, but those seem to be rarer than the FJZs. And I found a mandocello once – but it was just expensive enough that I hesitated – which is probably a good thing –

But a while back, I did find a SC Acoustic Bass – and thinking that it was basically just a slightly specialized guitar, plus it was really attractive, I justified it. And bought it –

well – it’s been a while, and I have pulled it out and thumped away on it a few times, but – honestly, it’s not something I’m ever going to do seriously – and this is a serious instrument –

The point of all this? I got a great price on it, and the shop that sold it to me has approached me to buy it back, probably because they have someone who’ll pay more, and I doubt many of these get made each decade, so – I think its time to let it go.  A couple pics for the memories – and to hope that in years to come, I don’t find myself regretting this –

Matt Hayden
        Participant

If you don’t play it, and someone else will, then let it go.

And I don’t know what an FJZ is….

Chrisakadigdog
          Participant

Oh so sweet.

Acoustic Soul
            Participant

I had no idea that Santa Cruz FJZ existed…. much less that it’s a 17″ arch top.  I have a heritage eagle 17″ sitka maple right now and it’s been the only guitar I’ve played since I got it a few months ago.  Thanks for letting me know that Santa Cruz makes one

Daniel
              Participant

It’s a damn good thing for me you didn’t get the mandocello!

🙂

Daniel

Acoustic Soul
                Participant

There is an FJZ at guitar gal , I wish they had played it acoustic

Hank
                  Participant

OH NO….I just bought a FTC…..Somebody tell us what a FJZ is …. I CANNOT AFFORD ANY MORE G.A.S….. I REALLY CAN’T !!!!

Acoustic Soul
                    Participant

Hank, type it into the search and you’ll see guitar gal video .  . . but no acoustic sounds… I’ve been wanting to try it against my Heritage archtop all day

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Acoustic Soul.
                      Hank
                      Participant

Santa Cruz FJZ-17 Archtop Guitar

Oh yea…. I remember this now…. I think it has been mentioned here before….whew.. I’m safe

tadol
                        Senior Moderator

Made – I don’t know if “make” is accurate. They were essentially a whole lot of handwork for the maestro, and I think he’s got his hands full with everything else they’re doing these days – not sure if FJZs will ever be on the schedule again. Maybe, though –

That FJZ at Guitar Gallery is one I had a chance to play and buy some years ago, but couldn’t afford it then – Now I just figure I have to hold out until I find one he may have made with a wider neck – and I think thats a pretty safe way to not spend any money – but someone will get a very sweet and very rare guitar –

Matt Hayden
                          Participant

I didn’t know the designation, but I played one in 2013 at the Xmas party.  Basically pretty close to a perfect archtop. Big clear bottom end for a carved top guitar -Freddie Greene would have loved it.

Acoustic Soul
                            Participant

i’m interested in the one at guitar gal they said that they will record acoustic in a week on it

Matt Hayden
                              Participant

The one I played was over the top good.  I mean, it was an acoustic archtop, in the sense that a mandolin is.  Lots of sound and good balance.  It was dry and woody and the top end cut well.

Acoustic Soul
                                Participant

Yeah, I find Matt that archtop is just really my flavor, especially a 17″ .  .  . one that can still strum and play pop and soul etc is awesome.  Somehow my Heritage does that.  I’ll look forward to them recording it acoustically

I think adirondack/mahogany slope shoulder and 17″ archtop have to be my two favorites of everything I’ve ever played, drawing from really good J45’s , Roy Smecks, or L5’s.  I find that with a flat top it has to be legendary and charming for me to love it, whereas a lot of decent arch tops are good enough to make me happy with them.  Kind of like how almost any decent strat will do for me but a Les Paul or Tele has got to be remarkable

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Acoustic Soul.
                                  tadol
                                  Senior Moderator

So after psyching myself up to let this go, the shop has never called back –

Not sure how I feel about it –

Matt Hayden
                                    Participant

It’s a sign.  It means that there’s a recording project in the future with that bass’ name on it.

Signed, the guy who’s been trying to sell his Bozo dread and keeps not doing it (and having Bruce Sexauer refret it…).

Matt Hayden
                                      Participant

If you’ve played many of the SCGC archtops – I’ve only played a few – they’re amazing.  I think the one that mostly got my attention was very small – it was natural finish, spruce and (IIRC) maple, and relatively small (15” I think, or 16”? Richard Hoover, was that a thing?).  It had the deco inlays.  I played it while I was in CA years ago on travel from the east coast, well before moving here – one of the private equity financiers we were working with had it.

Anyhow, it was the single best fingerstyle archtop I’ve ever played.  Acoustically it was just perfect – it was punchy and clear, big fat trebles for playing leads, stayed clear while playing hugely dissonant chords (think the opening chords of “Seven Steps to Heaven” with major seconds), and had a little flamenco-yes rasp in the sound.    With a pick it was nice, but with fingernails, oh man.  Chord-melody for days, and definitely more acoustic than electric.  It was amazing.

That’ll happen someday, after my ship really comes in (go public, company!!! I want my stock to be worth something!!).  Fortunately I have the OM and 00-29 to keep me busy; they’re not lacking.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.