I submit the following

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums All about the wood I submit the following

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

Making a decision  To compare Irish Whiskeys and tone woods I submit the following ;

after a wee dram of Dullimore Dew 15 year old single malt and finger picking the SCGC O.T. H-13 Madi/italian playing major and minors……. Then playing the SCGC Om “The Tree” Hog/ Euro  while sipping  a wee bit of  “Green Dot Single Pot ” Irish Whiskey’ while playing the same chords, I have come to a conclusion……SCGC builds “Exceptional musical Instruments…. And I’m a wonderful guitar player !!!!

tadol
        Senior Moderator

So – my only problem is after a wee dram or two, I can find myself pretty happy if you hand me most anything to play. Especially if you hand it to me already in tune –

😉

wbb90TR
          Participant

I prefer Blanton’s bourbon, however, when sipping Irish I really enjoy Red Breast. It’s merely a barley/corn dilemma.

I also don’t have to “agonize” over which steed to cut out of the armada and play, as I only have one SCG, my beloved ’90 TR.

All in jest, of course. I actually look forward to your submissions about each of your collections. Carry on! Enjoy your sippin’ and stay safe.

Walter

wbb90TR
            Participant

Oh Man, gotta love auto correct or lack of proof reading…. just noticed I said armada, obviously should have read ramuda!

humbly re-submitted,

Walter

Hank
              Participant

Walter,

My most aged SCGC guitar is the 2000 model F Maple/German. I was playing it all morning in our very (for Florida) rare 42% humidity….It sounded wonderful……

But I can’t even imagine what a 30 year old  SC Tony Rice must sound like . Is it Braz/ German ? Did you buy it when new?

What strings do you use ?

I CANNOT drink bourbon…. I broke into my Dads liquor cabinet with 2 high school buddies when I was 17 and grabbed a bottle of said evil drink…. Had the dry heaves for 48 hours…. I can’t even go to a Kentucky Derby Party and my Brother -in-Law is from Kentucky……But I am Irish .

wbb90TR
                Participant

Hank,

My TR does indeed sound amazing. It is IRW with Sitka. Voiced by Richard and Jeff Traugott in 8/90. I did buy it new from Mandolin Bros. on Staten Is. Played several while there including a couple of Braz. ones. Not in my budget at the time.  It replaced a 1983 HD-28 (150th anniv. yr.) that had been a 10th wedding anniversary gift from my wife. The Martin was stolen during a burglary at our home. Heartbreaking event. Sitting next to my HD was an early ’70s D-28s that I was performing repair work on for a friend. Fortunately they left that one. Fortunate because it had belonged to his father who was a well know bluegrass musician, Ted Lundy.

I like to alternate between Martin Monel (TR signature series) and SCGC medium tension. They are a bit tonally different, but I leave them on for months to enjoy the tone as the strings mature. The other key is that I use a Blue Chip TP 1R-50. It becomes “tacky” after it warms up making it easy to maintain a grip. I prefer the BC because it creates very little pick noise, instead, just brings out the sound of the wood reacting to the string tension, etc. AHHH, so sweet.

Red Breast single pot still is my go to Irish. The Irish brought whiskey to the colonies, just changed the mash to a corn based one. All good.

Hank, your collection is amazing. One that I can only dream about. Has to be super gratifying to be able to pick up any of those instruments and enjoy the unique output that each one produces.

My faulty reference to your “armada” was a brain slip related to your sailing experiences!

All the best,

Walter

haasome
                  Participant

Step it up to a baritone and make it a triple?

– Paul –

Hank
                    Participant

Walter,

I’m humbled by your memory of my posts and envious of your TR.

My 1993 Martin HD-28 was a birthday gift from my wife on my 46th birthday. She was an O.R /Trauma Nurse who put $200 a paycheck aside for over a year. We were hard pressed then to pay bills. The Martin is a guitar of immense love. I was a Boat Capitan and yacht salesman who worked on straight commission …. Which means I only ate what I killed. I spent 350 days a year on the salt. Her medical service introduced me to a certain medical procedure that I realized had great potential. We built a small but successful company and sold it. The proceeds allowed us to retire and allowed me to be able to be involved with Santa Cruz Guitars. I believe in Richard Hoovers slogan… “Their built to be passed down”. Every day I thank ALL The gods there might be for giving me my wife, my time and the wonderful instruments that provide me with peace… and continuing frustration….. OH, and Irish Whiskey…… and You Do Know That “Whiskey” means ‘Water Of Life ” in Galic ?

Peace to our friend Richard Newman.

wbb90TR
                      Participant

Hank,

My wife did the same to acquire the ’83 HD-28 for me. I was deeply moved by her gift, and the trauma of the break in and theft still brings back so many different emotions.

Your story typifies the American Dream that so many honest, humble and hardworking folks strive to achieve. You benefited from an idea for a product that can make many lives better and at the same time make life more comfortable for both of you. Well done friend!

Thanks to your wife for her service to those who she helped in the OR.

W

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by wbb90TR.
                        Matt Hayden
                        Participant

Good stories.

I like to drink Macallan 18 with a ‘91 OM cutaway…..and the 2012 00-29.

I’m debating about another…there’s an instrument for sale locally that I might just get.

I’m trying to be a player, not an acquirer,  but these instruments really are that good and that consistent.

Dannymeeg
                          Participant

Ashamed to say that as an Irish man, I prefer a good Scotch! Talisker or Lagavulin with my new Don Edwards would be quite the combination!

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.