How much are you practicing?

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion How much are you practicing?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      indexless
      Keymaster

Time to get behind that guitar or mando, take some on line lessons, fin a You Tube page you like, share what you’re doing. Peghead Nation, Eric Skye’s 30 day guitar class, let’s share these resources with each other.

Old 97
        Participant

I am playing mandolin and guitar daily.

My violin arrived Monday. I am transferring my Mando songs to the fiddle.

i am working on the Huckleberry Rag, dedicated to our lost dog, Huck. He’s been gone 41 days. The Huckleberry Rag is in A. It’s a 1-4-5 with contrary motion over the A and D, fingers and notes ascending and descending. It is a knuckle buster.

Hank
          Participant

Damn…..That’s my problem,  I don’t practice . ….But I do wander around in ” uncharted waters ‘ occasionally . I’m playing everyday and I am rediscovering the songs that I first learned to play . Mostly old Folk songs that I found in  “Sing Out ” magazine by Peat Seeger and then later the  Bob Gibson stuff and into the Byrds.

But now I adapt them to my 60 year of bad habits style of playing….different but it makes me happy.

I’ve also discovered that I wish to Play for myself and a few other drukkin pickin friends…. preferably under a rising moon by the lake and then late into the evening.

I’ve become aware that I am a SOC player and that I lack the focus to play well with others….. When asked to Jam or   Dee asks me to perform with her well , I keep listening to everybody else riff and drum and sing and I lose my place or miss chords. It may just be old age but it no longer is something I want to do .

I do , however dearly love seeing what sound my hands can bring out of the Ramuda when the “In The Groove ” happens.

Matt Hayden
            Participant

Pretty much daily.  I’m spending a lot fo time with the Real Book and the ‘nome.  Learning to swing with a click is hard work!

Daniel
              Participant

Matt,

Do you know about the Soundbrenner Core haptic metronome?
                https://www.soundbrenner.com/core

I don’t practice enough.
                Small children home all day.
                Wife working from home.
                Garden needs tending.
                Chickens need feeding.
                And many other excuses.
                <sigh>

Silver lining: Being literally henpecked ain’t so bad and chicken shit could be much worse than it is.
                😉

Daniel

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Daniel.
                Hank
                Participant

Daniel….Watch your finger tips when feeding those chickin lips.

Daniel
                  Participant

🙂
                    They are interesting little beasties.  Quite literally fluffy dinosaurs, as Matt H says.
                    They will eat anything.  They come running when we go outside, and then they peck at our pant legs if we don’t feed them something.  Emmy Lou is gentle and Dolly is forceful but not to the point of causing pain.  Linda seems like she suspects us of something.  She might be the smartest of the three.  😉

Daniel

Matt Hayden
                    Participant

Linda suspects coq au vin may be her destiny, even if she is a hen. 😀

I just got sheet music/tab for a Renaissance lute piece called “Aria di Fiorenza” by Kapsberger.  I’ve wanted to play it for years, and it’s now clearly the time.  It’s really a short melody with a nearly infinite possible set of variations, and a few more or less standard ones…..it’s absolutely beautiful.   I’ve been told that once the basic harmony is learned, it’s relatively easy to extract new voicings for each chord

This is the gold standard. I’ll be playing it on a steel string OM which might get tuned down to enlarge the compass.

tadol
                      Senior Moderator

I can’t say I’m practicing more – at least guitar. Too many house projects that can’t be ignored when the spouse is over your shoulder continuously reminding you whats next on the list. But I have been having some fun with a new toy I got off eBay – its the Izotope Spire – cordless recording unit that is so easy to setup and use, I’ve actually started making an effort to record and listen to myself. I’ve tried in the past, but too much technology and chords and power supplies and knobs and sliders and blinking lights – yikes!  This is a standalone device that has a free app for ios (also works alone, and maybe other devices? Haven’t looked)  which makes recording multi-track by yourself just stupid easy, and sounds pretty darn good. I’m now at the point where I can have my music up on my iPad, the Aspire app on my iphone to control, and the device perched on a mic stand in front of me – and have almost finished a song (nothing original, not there yet) and it may actually sound good enough to let others hear! Although, with all the talent staying home and releasing great music routinely, I may still not be up to snuff. All about timing, yet again –
                        But I do hope to get some sound samples from a few guitars and get those up sometime soon –

Matt Hayden
                        Participant

I’ve played with the Spire app and it’s pretty neat.  Setting it up to record when I’m working with a click really is useful for getting my time together.  And, it should be noted for relentless self-flagellation when my time is bad.

Daniel, I did see the Soundbrenner, and I’m considering one.  An audible click has been my go-to but this may be more helpful.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Matt Hayden.
                          • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Matt Hayden.
                          Daniel
                          Participant

Matt, the Soundbrenner metronome software is a free download and syncs to the Pulse and the Core devices.  It has clicks like a regular metronome.

Been practicing a LOT this week.  We (my wife and I) started doing daily FB live single song events.  Did that for 3 weeks and then we turned it up a notch.  Three 6 song sets on three consecutive evenings.  FB live, Youtube Live, and Zoom.
                            So I’ve been working up sets all week.

We finished tonight.  I’ll go back to one song a day on FB for a while.  We’ll definitely do FB live on Thursday night and Zoom next Saturday as well. (Happy to comp you in in you’re interested. 😉 )

I’ll spend time practicing tomorrow.  What a gift I have been given…

Daniel

Barber Derek
                            Participant

Did the Eric Skye 30 Day Challenge. Currently taking Mark Goldenberg’s Chord Theory course at Peghead Nation. Great content clearly explained. Not sure if it is still going, but Peghead Nation was offering the first month free.

Daniel
                              Participant

Cool stuff Shaver.

stay with me for a second…
                                I ordered octave mando strings from an Amazon reseller 5 weeks ago because most online places that ship to France were sold out.  They STILL have not arrived.  Also my Arrow Gr 5 string mando is in the shop for some work.  These recent ‘gigs’ would have been a lot easier with those mandos because they have some low end, but I have moved back to guitar to compensate for the loss.  ( A bunch of my one song vids have me on guitar.)

I just spent an hour re-acquainting myself with a whole pile of covers I used to do on guitar but dropped when I spent most of my time playing mandolin.  I realised while doing this that I have never been really happy with anyone else playing my material on guitar.  I may need to get back into and do it properly.

I will start with Eric’s 30 day challenge tomorrow morning (after my French lesson).  But I bet when I do, the strings show up, the Arrow comes home, and I go right back to mandolinny things.  😉

Daniel

PS Annnnnnnd true to form… My luthier has just texted to say the Arrow is ready. (Ha!)

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.