Greetings-Saddle Angle question

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Greetings-Saddle Angle question

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      erikvano
      Participant

Hello everyone…My first post. I don’t see a repair section. My apologies if this is the wrong section …I bought a SC dread, its incredible..

I noticed that the saddle is not at a 90 degree straight up and down angle…Is this common, or correct?  The intonation is spot on, and its snug. I’ve never seen this before..It’s hard to see in the photo  but the reflection actually does demonstrate it.

I’ less than a week in on the guitar, and strings.. I realize that its an easy fix, if its not seated properly. But then it would seem the intonation would be off….

I’ a noob at this so any input would be great..Is this actually done purposely? The shop I purchased from is awesome, but its a 1.5/2 hour drive..I thought id ask here first

Thanks in advance, rik

saddle

indexless
        Keymaster

Welcome rik,    thanks for finding us and again welcome. I’m sure you’ll get answers here but I’ll start. Your picture shows a correct angle of the bridge. Let’s see if Dr Hoover chimes in with the reason but it works!  Welcome again

Hank
          Participant

Welcome Erik,
            Looks fine to me…play it to the max…SC makes great dreads…..is it louder than you expected?
            Have you tried the SCGC Mid tension string on the guitar ?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Hank.
            erikvano
            Participant

Thanks for the input you two (guys?!), thanks.

Yes, this dread is massive volume wise , open chords literally ring like a bell.. so, yes , I’m thrilled . I haven’t really had the opportunity to fully open up on it. In fact, today is my first day off alone with the guitar. Of course, Murphy’s law dictates that I’ll probaly suck and trip over my own fingers today, so we’ll see ha ha

also, yes I believe it’s got SC mid-tension strings on there presently, and they sound great..also no problem with 1 11/16 nut, everyone online makes such a fuss about the 1 3/4 debate/preference,  frankly its insubstantial for me apparently..

thanks again for the replies, I think this saddle angle is deliberate and likely relieves the hard bend tension if anything .

happy picking , Erik

Anonymous

WELCOME  Erik.  Saddle angle is a built in design factor. All is good!   I think over at the SCGC SITE  Richard addresses the reason for that layed back angle . Just a little bit more accelerater peddle.

Hank
                Participant

Erick,
                  a bit more detail on your dread please…what model? what woods?
                  You’ll find the members of this forum are a bit crazy about wood combos….but in a positive and supportive way.

Daniel
                  Participant

Welcome Erik!

Yes, please do tell.  More photos and full specs.  We’re junkies here, vicariously enjoying your purchase as if it were our own.  😉

Microsoft used to say “It’s a feature not a bug”, but in this case the saddle angle is indeed designed and built in.  So it is really a feature rather than a problem.

Enjoy your picking time!

Daniel
                    (resident mandolin player)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Daniel.
                    erikvano
                    Participant

Thanks for the interest everyone….Heres some haphazard jpgs..The shimmering bearclaw/silking (whichever?) is  crazy..So, its obviously a TR model, german spruce and im assuming EIR (maybe madagas? I have to check, quite honestly its all the same to me since this particular guitar “spoke to me”)..

Its German spruce and just the black headstock, love it…I got it from Gryphon…Truth be told Ive marvelled at this model since the 90s when I first saw Tony with it ( i realize his is abit different, headstock, BRosewood, etc). I never thought id be able to afford it, or that my playing would justify it. I actually had my heart set on the D-28 Marquis but it was discontinued before I could get my sh*t together to grab one…

My attention then switched to the collings D2H-T …when i got serious and went to play the collings i noticed the TR SantaCruz was on gryphons website in the same price range ( I had it in my mind that the TR was $7000 starting point, apparently thats true for brazilian..SO, I went to try (and maybe buy) the Collings and saw the TR in person and basically thought id try it and rule it out, due dillegence or whatever..ha ha…Well, that backfired..I went back the next week after getting my finances in order and grabbed the SC..

So, im thrilled…hopefully my attempt at uploading these photos doesnt completely format all wierd…

Hank
                      Participant

Now that’s GORGEOUS !!!
                        If one can have only one guitar for a lifetime…It should be a Santa Cruz !
                        Congrats Erik.

Anonymous

That is some SERIOUS BEARCLAW  NICE!!!

Matt Hayden
                          Participant

Really nice!

The backwards tilt of the saddle helps a lot with intonation and overall bridge strength, as I understand.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Matt Hayden.
                            Daniel
                            Participant

Yep.  Heard more than once that someone was looking at a Collings or a Taylor or a Martin, A-B’d a Santa Cruz, and then got the Santa Cruz.  🙂

I got mine back in 2002 from Steve Swan when he was in Burlingame and still carrying SCGCs.  I played every guitar in his shop. Took home a dinged SCGC custom dread because it was the best sounding guitar in the place with one exception: a $7000 SCGC TR Pro in Adirondack and Brazillian which I simply could not afford.

Thanks for sharing!

D

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.