comments please

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

This one is a reputable soundhole pickup:  LR Baggs M1 Active Acoustic Guitar Soundhole Humbucker Pickup.

I would use this for small gatherings at our home. Would be run through either  my Eurolive B2050 or Dee’s Profix FX8.

I would like to use this on my SCGCs that do not have any Pick ups.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Hank
        Participant
          Hank
          Participant

Ordered the M-80 version.

tadol
            Senior Moderator

Your feedback on this would be good – I’m generally feeling that if I can’t do the job with a mic, and thats the guitar I wanna use, then I’d put a pickup in it. And I’m still loving the quality and simplicity of the UltraTonic –

Hank
              Participant

This is why I chose the M-80….it was designed to use the body of the guitar as well as electronics. I want my SCGC guitars to sound as “Acoustic” as possible.

https://www.pegheadnation.com/instruments-gear/instrument-demos/lr-baggs-m1-active-and-m80/

Hank
                Participant

https://www.lrbaggs.com/pickups/m80-acoustic-guitar-pickup

I also chose the M-80 because the artists at SCGC work magic with wood and steel….. I’m hoping the M-80 will reflect that “Santa Cruz Voice” and the tone woods true sound. I’m hoping that a German/ Adi/ Italian/Redwood top will be heard and not changed to a compressed electric sound.

Also….. My favorite firecracker was the “infamous” M-80 in my misspent youth.

Hank
                  Participant

Hank
                    Participant

Hank
                      Participant

indexless
                        Keymaster

Cool…now you need to drill some holes in those tops and put some knobs on them!

Hank
                          Participant

I wanted to follow up with a note about the L.R.Baggs M-80 sound holes P/u.

You can read my posts above as to why I chose it.

The 3 images above show it on the FTC Granadillo/Redwood ,the 1934 D Braz/Adi and the F Maple/German.

The unit would NOT fit into the smaller sound hole of the OM Hog/Euro……I was disappointed with that.

But. that is the only disappointment…… I am VERY PLEASED with the “Life Like Acoustic Sound”

I have played the three guitars through 2 systems :

A Bheringer Eurolive B205D and a Bose L1 with Tonematch.

I hear no compression or electronic distortion. While my hearing may not be the best ,Dee has perfect Pitch and she says the sound is exactly like the voice when played with out amplification.

The different guitars do require adjustment of the onboard volume wheel. The 34 Zorro needs to be turned down compared to the F and the FTC needs only very slightly less than the 34 Zorro.

The volume at the PAs is constant… with no effects used.

Interestingly the volume relative to each guitar is the same as with out the P/U.

One can also hear the individule voice of each guitar…..so the unit is without question picking up the sound vibrations from the different woods……the OM is woodier/dryer…. the FTC is very bell like and the 34 Zorro is Braz Grand Piano clarity.

The ability to change the M-80 to different guitars guitars quickly and easily is a real plus.

I am VERY careful not to set the set screws overly tight…….so far NO indication of any damage to the finish at the edge of the sound holes.  The M-80 might fit the OM but I was not willing to force the issue for fear of marking the finish.

I do not leave the M-80 on a guitar over night .

One needs to be a bit careful with the jack end of the unit as it is metal and a bit sharp edged. It can flop or bang against the guitar top or body if one is not careful. I may wrap the jack in foam .

All in All the unit does exactly what I wanted and I’m very pleased.

I purchased the M-80 from Sweetwater and it was a smooth transaction…..as usual.

Hank
                            Participant

Mis- wrote I should have said the F is very Maple and bright.

The OM is wonderful as is…not amplified….sorry about that.

Chrisakadigdog
                              Participant

Magnetic soundhole pups simply work well for many reasons. NO QUACK factor is the best and easily removed.

You don’t want them to come lose in the case. Big weight.

tadol
                                Senior Moderator

Thats really interesting – If you ever get around to doing a recording with the pickup turned all the way down, and then turning it up to hear how it compares, that’d be very informative –

I’ve tried a soundhole pickup, but having that cord dangling down was such a PITA – I imagined installing a jack in the guitar that the pickup could plug into, but then I figured once I had it all dialed in, I’d not want to take it in and out – maybe I need to rethink it and try it again –

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.