Capos

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      indexless
      Keymaster

Why does my cheapest capo sound the best?

Anonymous

Ha, ha. What is it. Newman doesn’t sound Scottish.

Can you describe what you hear that makes you say that?

Cheers,

Tom eh

indexless
          Keymaster

it’s a D’Addario that was like 10 bucks, on one guitar it just slays, on 6 others it sounds like poo….who knows

Anonymous

Is it this one Richard?

Anonymous
                indexless
                Keymaster

that’s the one PW-CP-07  sounds good on my tele as well.. soft “v” neck…who knew?

tadol
                  Senior Moderator

I’ve been trying to find my old “elastic”capo, which was the only one I knew for many years – I don’t think they even offer them anymore – but if its buzzing, you just have to stretch it one more hole –

Daniel
                    Participant

Fretboard radius has a lot to do with how effective a capo is.

If they don’t match well, either the outside strings or the inside strings will not make great contact with the capo.  Lots of companies solve this problem by using soft enough material to form properly to the fretboard despite the curvature mismatch.

I suspect, Rich, that your cheap capo matches that one guitar perfectly and the other not so well.

In my case (ha), I’ve got a 15 year old Elliott that matches my SCGC perfectly and is as sonically transparent a capo as I have ever heard.

I have a lovely Shubb I bought for my Telecaster, a model made for electrics, that has too much radius.  So it doesn’t quite fit the Tele!  Sounds rubbish.  🙂  I suspect the old elastic and rubber ones would sound great on the Tele.

Daniel

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.