anyone ever been through an IPO or SPAC? DM if you have, pls

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion anyone ever been through an IPO or SPAC? DM if you have, pls

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Matt Hayden
      Participant

Title says it – my company’s going public and I’m trying to sort out how the best ways to navigate the transition.

Obligatory guitar content: once it’s done, I’ll be calling SCGC with an order. But I have to get to the finish line in one piece first….

Hank
        Participant

Matt,
          Depending on the $$$ amount , the schedule of payment ,cash or stock, the time period you are required to hold the stock before you can sell you are entering an area of extreme tax consquences.
          especially in your State of Ca.
          You really need the advice of a good tax accountant AND a Certfied Financial planner who works on a “fee only” basis and is a fiduciary.
          i know of several here in Florida but with the asset vacume that is the California Dept of revenue you should engage a firm that is liscenced in Ca.
          UNLESS you move to the NO income tax state of Free Florida and establish residense here in the Sunshine State Before the tranaction.

Daniel
          Participant

Question:  Will you be wealthy enough to finally take some time off and come for a visit?  😉

Daniel

Hank
              Participant

Daniel, maybe we can convince him to use some of those hard earned $$$ to set us up with a SCGC dealership in Florida and France …….Matt ????

Matt Hayden
              Participant

Daniel: I don’t expect to be rich, though if the stock hits certain numbers, it’ll accelerate retirement by a couple of years and make some things possible that I’ve held off with the idea that growing the retirement portfolio was more important.  I fervently hope it’ll amount to enough to justify some time off.  I’d very much like to get to Chamouille…..

And Hank, I live by Walter Becker’s dictate about GAS, as evidenced by this article: http://sdarchive.com/gas.html .  😀  –  I do not think I have the panache or repartee to be a guitar store owner like Stevie Coyle or the late great Stan Jay of Mandolin Brothers in isdaten island* in noo yawk, who was the platonic ideal of a guitar shop owner – the first time I walked in, he handed me a 1939 D’Angelico and asked what I thought of it……and I put it down very carefully after reading the price tag.  But it was goooooood.  But who knows what the future will hold?

The key thing right now is, as Hank noted, to get my tax act together.  AMT is no joke.  I need to figure out how to exercise in a way that won’t leave me owing more taxes than gains, which is no small challenge, apparently. My existing exercised shares are a bit close to AMT qualification for comfort, but we’ll see how it all works out.

* How did Staten Island get its name?  Henry Hudson was sailing around Sandy Hook, and he looked off to the northeast and said “Is dat an island?”   Dad jokes…

Hank
                Participant

http://sdarchive.com/gas.html

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy……Do NOT let Dee see this.

Thank you Matt…. for giving me Dreams/or Nightmares.

Per our phone conversation this evening…. Fair Winds….Your history will guide you well.

Matt Hayden
                  Participant

Thanks, Hank,

I promise I won’t share it with Dee 😀 if you don’t share it with Beth.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.