Alternate tunings with the 00 Skye

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Alternate tunings with the 00 Skye

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      RetiredFire
      Participant

Hi folks,  hope you are all staying well and getting in lots of practice during these crazy times.
        My question is….do any of you owners of the OO Skye ever tune down….such as drop D or tuning down a half step?  I recently placed an order for a new Skye and have several songs that I play tuned down half a step so am curious if anyone does this and how the guitar handles it. My other guitars are full scale so it’s not an issue…but I’m wondering if I will be able to play these songs on a shorter scale instrument and how they will sound. Many thanks.

2019 SC 000 mahogany/European spruce
        2018 SC H13 rosewood/Adirondack spruce
        2020 SC 00 Skye cocobolo/Adirondack spruce (summer)
        2012 Martin 00028VS rosewood/Sitka spruce

Matt Hayden
        Participant

I have a 00-29, same scale length and size as the Skye, and it’s fine a half step down. I use the SCGC lights and they’re fine – they do not get floppy at Eb.    Do the same thing with my OM – it’s pretty common, actually. Stevie Ray Vaughn tuned his strat to Eb for many years.

Enjoy your Skye – those are amazing instruments.

/mh

RetiredFire
          Participant

Gonna be awhile before I see it at this point. Santa Cruz is shut down for the foreseeable future. Thankfully I have my SC H13 and 000 to get me through these crazy days.

indexless
            Keymaster

Eric uses all kinds of drop tunings, your new guitar will shine with them, your strings will be a factor as well…YMMV

tadol
              Senior Moderator

Actually, the Skye has a custom 24.9” scale, while most short scale SCs are 24.75” – it ain’t much, but its an important difference to Eric. You should be able to drop the tuning without any problem, but I’m sure Eric can offer his expertise on it all if we ask him –

Barber Derek
                Participant

I’m in the same boat, I just placed my order for a custom 00 with the scale length and body depth of the Skye, but with a Sinker Redwood top. It’ll be a longer wait, but I’m sure it will be worth it. For me, it will be my first SCGC guitar!

RetiredFire
                  Participant

It does appear that our guitars will be delayed a couple of months. But I promise you, it will be worth the wait.

Russ
                    Participant

I keep my Skye and my other SC 0012 tuned down half a step. I’ll put them both in CGCGCE when the mood takes me.

I bought my SC 0012 used in 2012 and I’ve had my Skye nearly a year. They are great guitars.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.