A Minute of E Mando

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums Videos and shows A Minute of E Mando

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniel
      Participant

30 November, CapNO Laon, France.
        Les Caves Se Rebiffent (9 bands, one night)

A Minute of E Mando: (a little St Anne & Whiskey Before Breakfast)

Julien is coming along, but I gotta get him sorted on a boom-chuck rhythm.  😉

Daniel

Chrisakadigdog
        Participant

Well that looked like a whole lotta fun.  Sounding good Daniel

Old 97
          Participant

The Mando has a Garcia sound to it. You playing any Dead Tunes?

Daniel
              Participant

None in the set list at the moment.  But I can manage Ripple and Friend of the Devil.  🙂

Hank
              Participant

Daniel….it may be time for you to consider this……Your Mando is sounding Very Gypsy like .

Daniel
                  Participant

Time for Swing 39 and Swing 42?  Hmm.  Might be a cool idea.  Django Reinhardt was French.

Daniel
                  Participant

Thanks gents!

For that tune I was going straight through the pedal board with nothing engaged and into a Marshall MG30CFX.  The Marshall was mic’d.

I use ONLY the clean channel on that amp.  The rest are rubbish.  But I crank both the gain and the volume all the way up and adjust the break-up by adjusting the master volume.  Julien thinks I play too loud. 😉

So when I go to chords, you can hear just a tiny little bit of overdrive.  I backed off a bit after the third chord so I wouldn’t step on Julien’s melody playing.

That particular emando has a Kent Armstrong humbucking pickup hanging on the end of the fretboard, and it’s fully acoustic in construction rather than chambered.  A real Jazz box.  So it was designed for as warm as sound as possible for a soprano instrument.  Which is all probably why it sounds Garcia-like.

Depending on the song I add some more overdrive, a bit of compression, a bit of mid-range EQ boost, or a straight boost.  When we play “Wish You Were Here” I use an octave pedal for the melody bits.

I get a Trey Anastasio sound when adding a bit of compression and overdrive.  🙂

Daniel

Viewing 4 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.