1934 D Mahogany

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      jw3571
      Participant

I’ve been looking for SCGC guitar, I’m looking for something that is really a cannon but still has that sweet SCGC signature tone.  The 1934 D Mahogany looks interesting, I’d prefer the Brazilian but those are crazy expensive.  I won’t be able to play before I buy, would these be the tone i’m looking for or should I check something else out.  I need a 1 3/4 nut width.  I’ve found one but it has an Italian Spruce top, how are these tops?  I usually prefer Adirondack, but i’ve never played an Italian spruce.  What are the tone differences between the two.

I’m also worried about not having fret markers, is that something I would just get used to?  How much and how long would it take to custom order a 1934 D Mahogany with fret markers and the SCGC logo on the headstock?

Also curious how these would stack up with a Bourgeois AGed Tone D42 and a Collings D1A Traditional as I own both of those.

Thanks

indexless
        Keymaster

Welcome and prepare to hear from the forum on this one, great questions, again welcome

Daniel
          Participant

Howdy JW and welcome,

Body wood:  Mahogany is more focused than Rosewood of any kind.  It’s not really a substitute.  IF you like the Brazilian sound, consider Indian rosewood or perhaps cocobolo.

Top wood: I found German and Italian spruce to have a bit more ‘bell’ in the top end than Adirondack (Red spruce).  But has been years.  So defer to more up to date opinions.

Fret markers: As long as there are marker on the side of the neck, looking up at me, I’m OK.  The big ones on the fret board are for show.

IIRC, more than 50% of SCGC’s output is custom.  Usually they are variations on existing models.  Give the shop a call and discuss.  They’ll be happy to talk to you about all this!

Daniel

jw3571
            Participant

Thanks for the response.  I want to make sure i make the right choice since SCGC guitars seem to take such a hit if you sell them.  What would the Brazilian or the Hog model go for on the used market if they came up?

Hank
              Participant

JW
                I sent you an email

jw3571
                Participant

I don’t see an email yet?

jw3571
                  Participant

email sent.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.