Reply To: Brazilian and African Blackwood – Question for those of you who are tone elders

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums All about the wood Brazilian and African Blackwood – Question for those of you who are tone elders Reply To: Brazilian and African Blackwood – Question for those of you who are tone elders

tadol
Senior Moderator

Wow – thats a very thoughtful and well considered analysis. Almost too much so, as it leaves me feeling that the nuance you want is something that probably only Richard Hoover could understand well enough to give you useful feedback –

I have never been a fan of dreadnaughts – so I can’t respond to those thoughts. But I do have 2 braz rw guitars, both with sitka tops, one an OM, and the other a baritone – very different.  The braz is very nice, but with the price that it seems to take for really good quality braz, I’m not convinced its what I’d choose if I were ordering a new guitar.  But again, Richard is the one to talk to about that. There is some really fine braz out there – Richard may have it, or know where to get it, but it will not be cheap. I have a 000 in blackwood, and it has many of the same qualities, but it is 12 fret, and deeper body, and slot head, and euro spruce, so – almost completely different.

I wish I could offer something as intelligent and useful as your original post, but I know I’d fail – but what I think you should do is send your thoughts to Richard, and see what he suggests to accomplish your goals. I’d love to hear his thoughts, amd which way you end up going! In the meantime, I’m gonna throw some fresh strings on the blackwood and braz OM, and see if I can hear some of the qualities you’ve so well described –