Reply To: TOP 5 SONGS TO KNOW FOR AN ACOUSTIC GATHERING

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion TOP 5 SONGS TO KNOW FOR AN ACOUSTIC GATHERING Reply To: TOP 5 SONGS TO KNOW FOR AN ACOUSTIC GATHERING

Daniel
Participant

Every country/culture seems to have a different word for jam or a different way to jam if that use that word.

In the UK, a participatory event is called a “session,” but it’s not really a jam.  More of a song circle, and if you play along, you sort of need to arrange that with the person singing before the song starts.

A jam here in les-Hauts-de-France is an amplified event (Rock being KING in this neck o’ the woods –not sure about other parts of France).  It starts with a short set from a band and then people in the room are encouraged to get up 2 or 3 at time and play a few numbers before relinquishing their spot to someone else.  You Do Not bring your own amp.  You can bring your own instrument or borrow one from the organiser, a guy who has carried in and set up the PA, a drum kit, a decent keyboard, a bass, an electric guitar, an acoustic guitar, and all the required sound reinforcement along with a few lights.

(I learned all of this the hard way and speaking very little French. 😉 )

Claudine and I have hosted house concerts in England, and done one in France so far.  At these I usually lead a more American version of a jam afterward.  I find three chords songs indispensable:
Speed of the Sound of Loneliness
Helpless
Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door
You Ain’t Going Nowhere

But my guitar player, Julien, is a huge Neil Young fan.  So we end up playing
Powerderfinger
Down by the River
Old Man
Harvest Moon
…etc, etc…

🙂

Daniel