Reply To: SCGC Strings

haasome
Participant

Hi Zorro, yes it’s happened on every set of different SCGC strings I’ve used on the new OMG. And every time I’ve used EXPs it’s been completely resolved. I can’t say what it would sound like in a good recording because I don’t have good recording equipment. My guess is that it would sound like it does for a listener— probably not very noticeable at all. It would probably go unnoticed in a recording unless you were focused on that specific string tone and isolating the sound in comparison to others.

As Alan Carruth suggested, I tuned down the #3 string a step and fretted up to a A — and got exactly the same tone on that string. So I am led to believe it is the string. The other characteristic is that I can virtually eliminate the unwanted tone if I squeeze the pick very tightly, leave a tiny strike surface exposed on the pick end, and hit the string at a steep angle(opposed to perpendicular) to the string.

In the end it’s nothing more than a curiosity because it only happens using SCGC strings on 1 note on 2 guitars. And there is an easy & perfect solution – use another brand of string on those guitars. Since this is the most important thing to me, that’s what I’ll do as I scratch my head. This was also recognized as a good choice by Alan in the last sentence of his post.

– Paul –