Parabolic Strings tension on short scale OM?

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums Ask Santa Cruz Guitar Company Parabolic Strings tension on short scale OM?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      moo cow
      Participant

Looking to try some parabolic strings on my SC short scale OM and wanted to ask your opinion on tension.  Since the short scale already has less string tension would the low tension strings get noodle-ish or floppy feeling?

Thanks

indexless
        Keymaster

Greetings Moo!  Love them on my short scale guitars…no flop or noodles, even tuned down

moo cow
          Participant

Thanks Indexless!

That’s good to know.  I wonder what the medium tensions would do to the sound or playability?

indexless
            Keymaster

Here’s a great link SCGC posted yesterday

moo cow
              Participant

Great video.  Looking forward to trying ’em out.  Thanks

Richard Hoover
                Senior Moderator

Hi MC,

You’ve already had a great response to your question which should validate your wise choice of String Brand.  As per your Short Scale OM; your thinking is accurate; shorter scale equals less tension. Indexless should have settled any fears that the low tension set might be too low. As to what to expect with Mid-Tension strings on the same guitar; you will enjoy increased volume with a corresponding feel in string tension. It’s a pretty cheap and reversable experiment to try both styles on your OM to determine what suits you best. One caveat: you may sometimes want to adjust your truss rod and/or saddle height to maintain the same action in response to the difference in overall tension between the two string categories. Thank you!

Best,                                                                                                                                                                                                       Richard

moo cow
                  Participant

Thanks for the reply Richard!  I’m going to roll with low tension.  With my left index finger having some arthritic pain when playing barre chords I think the lower tension on short scale should be quite nice.

moo cow
                    Participant

Got some strings in this week.  Put a low tension set on my  OM SS and BOOM!, the beast came alive!  Bass is there in spades but everything is nice and even across the fingerboard.  I also ordered a mid tension set and put in on my H&D dread and the power and volume is on another level.    And my concern about the low tension on a short scale were instantly dismissed.  No issues there.

Been playing Elixir PB nano strings for years so I’m having to relearn a little technique to minimize the finger squeak but the tone is 100% better.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.