New wood for projects…

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums All about the wood New wood for projects…

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Matt Hayden
      Participant

I bought a board of red macacauba grown in Brazil, resawed it, and am using it for a self-built parlor guitar project about the size of an SCGC size 1.

This stuff, written about in a GAL journal  by a Brazilian maker named Roberto Gomes, is pretty amazing stuff.  It’s heavier than BR (BR is 52 lbs ft^2 vs 59 for macacauba) and rings like a bell.  It’s reddish, similar to bloodwood, but the color varies.

It’s easily available in dead quartered planks and it machines and bends easily.  According to the article I read, it is stable in service (e.g., doesn’t crack).  Maybe it’s a good alternative to the rosewoods for the future.

I’ll have the test guitar done by summer….hoping it is a good test case.

Macacauba

Matt Hayden
        Participant

And the latest wood in the stash is….persimmon!

It’s an ebony, and it cuts and works like it.

Got the bole of a fruit tree that was in pretty bad shape and have managed to resaw a couple of small back and side sets.  It’s about the same density as macassar ebony but lighter in color.  It’s pretty dry – the tree had been dead for a year or two – but I’ll let it sit for a bit and see what comes out of it.

Acoustic Soul
          Participant

Cool Matt!

Hank
            Participant

Matt (The Windmill),

Please post pix of the build in progress.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Hank.
              Matt Hayden
              Participant

I will, when time permits.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.